Corsair Laptop Memory
Sep 26, 2010 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair--PC3-8500-1066Mhz-204-pin/dp/B001UNI80A/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285547228&sr=8-2

I would like to get some information about this brand of SODIMM SDRAM. I created a similar thread for Crucial SODIMM RAM and it produced excellent quality replies. I hope the same will be true for this thread.

Does anyone here use this specific type of laptop ram? How is Corsair compared to Crucial? The price is appreciably lower, but I will not lower my quality standard for high stability, compatibility, and high performance.

Please reply and do include your opinions or research data comparing this Corsair to Crucial SODIMM SDRAM.

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 10
Absolutely nothing wrong with Corsair.  There are obviously many high-quality memory vendors.  Corsair should be on the same list as Crucial. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 10
Almost all of those companies are interchangeable, go for whatever has the best timings / price / warranty.

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 10
You can't go wrong with either company. Both companies produce very high quality goods and both stand behind their products with great customer support and warranties. For what it's worth, Corsair and Crucial are on my very short list of memory providers that I routinely choose from (for both work and play)

You sure like asking your computer questions on a headphone forum
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//wink.gif" title="
wink.gif
" width="" />

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 10
I considered posting my computer questions on computer forums, but I doubt there is any difference in terms of knowledge between Head-Fi members and the members in those computer forums.

Corsair is about $20 - $25 USD less expensive, but the Crucial RAM has CL=7. I think it may make a slight difference in terms of slightly improved performance for the Crucial RAM.

This is the week when I am going to receive a lot of money from different sources. So, I look forward to completing my shopping in early October.

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 10
That Corsair RAM is 7-7-7-20, no performance hit there. It's listed on their site as being Value Select RAM though so the XMS3 in the title of that Amazon listing is incorrect.

I'd go with the Corsair RAM if it's cheaper. Corsair and Crucial are about equal quality-wise.

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
That Corsair RAM is 7-7-7-20, no performance hit there. It's listed on their site as being Value Select RAM though so the XMS3 in the title of that Amazon listing is incorrect.

At that price I was checking my netbook for compatibility, but you're correct, it's value RAM. With laptops I use the Crucial compatibility guide.

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 10
Corsair RAM is good.  It's the only brand I use, besides Crucial.

Just buy some RAM, my man!  How long must you deliberate on the optimum choice? (sorry, sorry, I know this is Head-Fi) You won't notice a difference between CAS7 and CAS8 RAM on a laptop anyway (laptops tend to cut bus speed to save battery usage/heat)

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 10
Check out Welly's previous computer posts; if anything he's a very careful and deliberate person who researches everything throughly.

Quote:
Corsair RAM is good.  It's the only brand I use, besides Crucial.

Just buy some RAM, my man!  How long must you deliberate on the optimum choice? (sorry, sorry, I know this is Head-Fi) You won't notice a difference between CAS7 and CAS8 RAM on a laptop anyway (laptops tend to cut bus speed to save battery usage/heat)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back