correct my (er-6, er-6i, e3(c)) assumptions?
Jun 19, 2005 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

stopwhispering

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, looking through past threads on here and a bunch of reviews here and there on the net, I guess I've started to make some assumptions and just wanted to make sure I wasn't leading myself astray...(these are going to be used with my karma and laptop, listening to rock/pop stuff 98% of the time)

- the shure e3/e3c have a good overall range but are a bit muddy in the mids.

- the ety er-6 are brighter than the e3/e3c but are lacking in bass

- the er-6i have a much lower impedence so they should correct some of this lack of bass, but does this give them a gain-ier sound overall?

thanks for any input. i terribly second-guess myself when i'm about to spend money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by stopwhispering

My impressions from few months of using e3c are quite different - they have slightly veiled highs, tight bass but quite up-front and detailed mids. Actually those sticking out mids define e3c "sound signature" more than anything else.

Jun 19, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by albau
My impressions from few months of using e3c are quite different - they have slightly veiled highs, tight bass but quite up-front and detailed mids. Actually those sticking out mids define e3c "sound signature" more than anything else.

yeah I havn't actually heard them, just things I keep coming accross in other people's reviews and such.

Jun 19, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by albau

Agree 100%

The highs are the weakest part of the E3C sound.

Jun 19, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 10
The detail and "brightness" of the highs are pretty important to my decision, so new question:

Will the EQ settings on my Karma be able to make up for the lack of bass that the er-6/er-6i's apparently have?

Jun 19, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

The detail and "brightness" of the highs are pretty important to my decision, so new question:

Will the EQ settings on my Karma be able to make up for the lack of bass that the er-6/er-6i's apparently have?

if great details and brightness are important for you,you must forget E3C...ER6i aren't perfect but with a good EQ (easy with a Karma), you can have good results with pretty good details...

Jun 19, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Hi guys, looking through past threads on here and a bunch of reviews here and there on the net, I guess I've started to make some assumptions and just wanted to make sure I wasn't leading myself astray...(these are going to be used with my karma and laptop, listening to rock/pop stuff 98% of the time)

- the ety er-6 are brighter than the e3/e3c but are lacking in bass

- the er-6i have a much lower impedence so they should correct some of this lack of bass, but does this give them a gain-ier sound overall?

thanks for any input. i terribly second-guess myself when i'm about to spend money.
smily_headphones1.gif

The mids of the E3c, are lush very clear and very detailed. E3 is my favorite pair out of the three canalphones I have tried (ER6i, ER4, e3) having the best mids of the three.
But since you are looking for the best highs, rather than mids, get the Er6i over the E3. I however recommend you stretch your budget if you want really nice highs. The ER4 has great detailed highs. The E4c should be great choice to.

Jun 19, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
...I however recommend you stretch your budget if you want really nice highs. The ER4 has great detailed highs. The E4c should be great choice to.

I was honestly suprised that no one had mentioned spending more money and going for something better yet!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

The budget is unfortunately tight at the moment.

Jun 19, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 10
The er6i has a very detailed sound, and with the karma, you can easily 'correct' for the paucity of bass. I have not heard the e3c or er6's, though.

I owned a bunch of more expensive canalphones before owning the er6i, but when I got them, I was very impressed (and surprised) at how high quality they were. I don't like them as much out of my ipod, but from the karma they sound great. I can recommend them without hesitation.
The only problem is that they can be a bit fatiguing, to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back