Correct Gauge for 6 in jumper/interconnects?
Mar 26, 2011 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Fin1211

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I am making some jumpers for my amp/preamp and was wondering which gauge wire i should use. i am hoping that i will be able to use silver, but sometimes the silver is just too expensive for a thicker gauge. i have found 24 awg silver cable at qables.com(http://www.qables.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=503)for about 8 dollars per meter, and would buy it but i need to know whether it is too thin or not. if not, i might as well purchase it because it is the cheapest i have found. thanks everyone!
Fin Elliott

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 8
Is this pre or post amplification? 24 is probably fine for pre-amplification, but you might want a little bigger post amplification. If I were you I would just find some generic hook up wire for something like 10-20 cents/foot and use that. No need to spend a fortune on wire.

Mar 26, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 8
Is this pre or post amplification? 24 is probably fine for pre-amplification, but you might want a little bigger post amplification. If I were you I would just find some generic hook up wire for something like 10-20 cents/foot and use that. No need to spend a fortune on wire.

pre. goes from pre amp to power amp.

Mar 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 8
40ga signal
20ga ground

Seriously.

If you are concerned with durability, 33ga signal/20ga ground.

do i really need a 20 awg ground if i am already doing 24 awg in the first place? How about 24 awg signal and 24 awg ground? im just trying to consolidate where i buy my wire from and qables is the cheapest for silver but they only have one gauge available.
thanks
FIn Elliott

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 8
40ga signal
20ga ground

Seriously.

If you are concerned with durability, 33ga signal/20ga ground.

i just ordered a meter of 24 awg silver from qables for a total of about $13 including shipping shipped to chicago area and have also ordered 4 straight rca plugs from switchcraft(gold plated, two nickel handles and two black handles)for about 2 bucks each.
thanks to the both of you!
Fin Elliott

ps-this is the start of my diying career, wish me luck!:D

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 8
I use common copper magnet wire. 

The idea behind a thick & thin interconnect is that it helps to limit ground loops by having a higher impedance signal path than ground. 

For practical applications, you will never find wire thin enough that it attenuates bass when used as an interconnect. Try one out as a second or third project :)

Ooh, yea, 2x24ga is OK, but I think thinner is better. 

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 8
I use common copper magnet wire. 

The idea behind a thick & thin interconnect is that it helps to limit ground loops by having a higher impedance signal path than ground. 

For practical applications, you will never find wire thin enough that it attenuates bass when used as an interconnect. Try one out as a second or third project :)

Ooh, yea, 2x24ga is OK, but I think thinner is better. 

thanks. can you explain how a magnet wire works/what it is? i have heard of them, but they kind of confuse me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back