Coroner reform to play Hellfest 2011, and have returned...
Jun 24, 2010 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rehabitat

1000+ Head-Fier
The greatest progressive thrash band of all time imho have recently confirmed one more round of gigs, 15 years after their dissolution.

I better start saving for the flights, or start swimming in earnest.

For the uninitiated: Divine Step

They are THE most underrated metal band on the planet, but once you get hooked, you'll find that Coroner are a lifetime thing.  Their last and best album, 'Grin' is criminally OOP and sold the fewest of all their albums.  I hope they are finally motivated to address this issue.  See 'Serpent Moves' for one of the coolest riffs ever written and possibly the greatest metal guitar solo ever recorded.  Mellifluous comes to mind.

Any other Coroner lovers out there?

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 16

Listen up!

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the reply. Nice to see someone cares.  I like the cover too, it was a good choice for them, but others disagree.

How's this for brutality?  Be patient, the song doesn't kick in until 1:15, but it's worth the wait.  It crushes.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 16
I'm already there, one thing about Coroner are the lyrics, usually metal lyrics are ridiculous and somewhat puerile. I seldom appreciate the lyrics, but these guys are one of the exceptions and their music are indeed so good that underrated is a common word when reading about the band.

The tickets are on sale (with a discount) around Xmas, my mind is already made up, Hellfest have in the last years been the best metal festival in Europe IMHO.

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 16
IME there is none better.  Many would disagree, but these people have simply not got with the groove.  In time it will be proven.

Yes, the lyrics are rather exceptional for their time, especially given that English is not their native tongue.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread guys.  I have been waiting for these guys to return for many years.  Too bad I'll probably never see them live.  Thanks to the internet I'll be able to enjoy the experience vicariously.

Like this:

Three piece bands are the best.

btw I fixed the link to the fan site.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #10 of 16
Compilation of the 'best sounding' clips from Coroner's first show in 15 years, Lausanne, 23/04/2011
Some songs were the only choice available.  If better versions appear I will replace the links.
Enjoy, thrashers 
biggrin.gif

Golden Cashmere Sleeper Pt1
Internal Conflicts
Serpent Moves
Masked Jackal
Metamorphosis
Lethargic Age
Semtex Revolution
Gliding Above While Being Below
Divine Step
No Need To Be Human
Der Mussolini
Grin: Nails Hurt
Purple Haze
Reborn Through Hate

Edit 3/05/2011: missing songs added and replaced "Der Mussolini" with a more complete version

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #11 of 16
Coroner, still looking for some albums in pristine condition. 

Rehabitat, have you looked into Gore yet? "Mean Mans Dream" was more to my liking than expected...

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #12 of 16
Hey, good luck on your search. I have noticed your posts on Gore and I plan to check them out (c: The band Bohren und der Club of Gore, whom I enjoy greatly, I read started as kind of a hardcore tribute to Gore, so the name is already familiar. So far I know them only by reputation.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #13 of 16
Gore's work is tricky to find but I can upload the ripped albums so you can download the music. If you are lucky their albums sometimes turn up on Ebay or via smaller record companies like coolrecordstore.

Coroner...

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 16
That would be exceedingly generous of you.  I would be delighted to reciprocate.  ygpm

I just noticed your sig.  The statement on Gore touches on something I have held close for a long time.  When I realised that what I was listening to was some of the absolute best ever, most everything else comparable sounded meh.  One is spoiled by someone else's brilliance, which makes it so much harder to be satisfied.

Coroner is one of the bands that help me to decide that life is too short for completism.  My resolve since those days is to search for what I believe to be the only best of every kind of music that I can find in my lifetime.  This decision has limited my collection and it is slow to build, but part of my objective is to minimise time spent with mediocrity.  However, I believe my collection stands up very well to repetition.  Sometimes it can be tough to be disappointed by so much that I hear, but imho it is definitely worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back