Corning USB 3.Optical Cable
Apr 10, 2015 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Franatic

100+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine just brought this cable to my attention. I was wondering if anybody has tried this or any other optical USB cable. Sounds to me like it might have very good audiophile possibilities.

I am looking to get the ifi idsd pro next month and foresee lots of upsampling via HQPlayer in my future. I would hate to spend $500++ on an audiophile usb cable only to find this optical usb cable is the next great thing.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 2
I was curious about this cable as well and ordered one from Amazon to try out. It seems to be very particular about what it will work with, and so far it works on none of my audio gear whether it is self powered or not. It will not work on my NAD M51 USB input, and it will not work on my battery powered Audiophilleo.

The only things it did work on were one of our two printers and a Drobo we use for backups. There are some guys on a different forum who are using it but only when it is terminated with a hub or powered USB conditioner. But it seems to me that introducing a hub and another wall wart into the mix is against the whole idea of simplifying/isolating the circuit. As well I found the ends of the cable got very warm, and you have to wonder what sort of jitter the built in conversion circuit is adding to the mix. I'm returning mine.

It's reasonably priced at about $100 though, and you have to consider if a hi fi company made it or rebranded it it would easily cost 10x that amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back