Cork P_o_r_n!
Feb 9, 2010 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Steve Eddy

Member of the Trade: The Audio Guild
Aka: TempAccount555
For years I've used cork for a variety of things. Damping, lining chassis, foot pads, etc. But it's always been the typical granulated cork used for cork boards and the like.

So I thought I'd play around with some solid, high grade musical cork (used primarily for joints on wind instruments) from Jelinek.

My order just arrived today so I haven't much to say about it except...

IT'S BEAUTIFUL!

qork.jpg

se

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is some fine looking cork, indeed. I'm sure it helps bring out earthy tones and a more natural timbre.
smily_headphones1.gif

And organic. Don't forget organic!
atsmile.gif

What can I say? I'm not in it just for "the sound." I'm in it for the gestalt. The experience. And for me aesthetics plays an important role in that experience as well as "the sound" and other aspects.

se

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And organic. Don't forget organic!
atsmile.gif

What can I say? I'm not in it just for "the sound." I'm in it for the gestalt. The experience. And for me aesthetics plays an important role in that experience as well as "the sound" and other aspects.

se

Absofackinglutely!

One day, I will have a whole workshop full of tools and materials to make things as beautiful as they are functional if not moreso.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One day, I will have a whole workshop full of tools and materials to make things as beautiful as they are functional if not moreso.

I certainly hope you do, FraGGleR.

One thing that irks me when I watch the various home shows on HGTV is all the stuff that's strewn about a room whose only purpose is to just sit on a table or a shelf or what have you and look good.

This stuff is like a woman who's drop dead gorgeous, but is otherwise an empty vessel.

I much prefer to put the beauty into the functional items instead of trying to dress them up with claptrap.

se

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That picture is dirty.... I am ashamed I looked....

And I'll bet you'll look again.

PERV!
atsmile.gif

se

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 14
I had the time of my life looking at that. I've never felt this way before.

We are planning to have our kitchen floor redone in cork. It's cheap, it's very comfortable and it's gorgeous:

Lumber Liquidators: 7/16" x 12" x 36" Dali Cork

Plus every time I see the sample I want to crack open a bottle of wine.

Pieces are 12" x 36", about a half inch thick, cork sandwiched with MDF. If there's anything left over, I'm thinking DIY record mat.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 14
As I sit here to begin my workday by checking forums unrelated to it I cant help but feel the envy grow in me for you having such a nice piece of cork. I wish my cork were as nice as yours, but alas I have to make do with cheap slabs of granulated (not even entombed in latex!) cork. GRRR.

Someday, I will have some cork as nice as yours.

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I sit here to begin my workday by checking forums unrelated to it I cant help but feel the envy grow in me for you having such a nice piece of cork. I wish my cork were as nice as yours, but alas I have to make do with cheap slabs of granulated (not even entombed in latex!) cork. GRRR.

Someday, I will have some cork as nice as yours.

Despair not!

If the HeadFi community can come together and buy Ti Kan a pair of HD-800s, I'm sure that a piece of cork as nice as mine can be in you future.

Whadda ya say, boys?

se

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 14
Ah, who can resist the image of Janet Jackson soaking cork?

Interesting - like all things, good cork is expensive, but, I would like to try this as dampening material sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back