Cords compatible with UE Triple Fi 10
Aug 29, 2008 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rman3008

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

The headphone jack on my UE Triple Fi 10 stopped working yesterday so I was about to buy a new cable directly from UE, but then I wondered if any other cable would work with them and, furthermore, which one would be best.

Also, I know this is a bit of a longshot, but I do love the j-cord style, so I was wondering if it would be possible to connect the Triple Fi 10 with a sennheiser cx 300 cable?

Anyway, just let me know which replacement cable you recommend I buy.

Thanks.

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 9
Just want to mention that once you use the Westone cable, the UE cable will no longer fit (because Westone cable will expend the hole).

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to mention that once you use the Westone cable, the UE cable will no longer fit (because Westone cable will expend the hole).

I wouldn't say 'no longer fit', but x2 it certainly can make the stock fit a little...looser I guess (was going to say sloppier but that aint it).

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 9
I didn't find so, SQ wise. But the Westone ES cable is very, very flexible & so quite comfortable if you find the stock a bit stiff. I didn't, so sold my ES cable. Some report a difference in SQ using the Westone, but I didn't find this...

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't find so, SQ wise. But the Westone ES cable is very, very flexible & so quite comfortable if you find the stock a bit stiff. I didn't, so sold my ES cable. Some report a difference in SQ using the Westone, but I didn't find this...

I would say any sound difference would have to be in continuity change. It is possible for a particular set of cables to have different continuity than another and this would attribute to any sound quality difference. But this could easily be checked with a multi-meter.

I'd venture to say also that the sound quality of UE's own OEM cables could be different among their two different lengths. One length is 36 inch and the other, 48. If the Etymotic ER4s are any example it would be that there must be a difference in sound quality when resistance is altered. The smaller the cable, the more lithe it will be while increasing resistance. A smaller cable will conduct fewer electrons across its surface than a larger cable. A smaller, multi-wire, the exact same gauge as a single conductor, cable will conduct more electrons because of having more surface area. But a larger multi-wired cable will best them all.

Whether higher resistance equals better sound, I don't know, but the Ety ER4S is supposed to have higher resistance through a cable resistor and is said to provide much better sound quality over the ER4P, which a resistor cable is available for, making it the same as the ER4S.

Aug 30, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 9
Erm....any difference in sound quality...and "if" there is any is probably only noticeable on tech sheets, but not by the human ear. I admit I'm, not in the profession, but I can't imagine there being any noticeable difference between a 36inch and 48inch chord with high profile I.E.M like the Triple Fi, to the human ears.
I just so happen to have an extra chord from an earlier pair of Super fi 3 that broke after warranty that I'm waiting to use as backup. But if I needed to I'd just buy another directly from UE. I'm nervous about that Westone E.S. cable, you should be too! I mean its stretching out the connector of the socket. Who knows what kind of side effect that can lead to on a $400 I.E.M. And you know UE is going to consider it improperly used and abuse and not support it, so why stand in line for the hassle?

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 9
You're right, in such a situation as the different lengths of cable, it would doubtful a person could hear the difference brought on by the resistance change. But resistance change, there would be. I'd even wager that among the same length cords there's differing resistances...unless they were of superior quality and manually matched.

Like I said, though, it's apparent resistance does change the sonic characteristics of sound because the ER4P sounds different than the ER4S and the only technical difference is the resistance of one being different form the other.

Would I be able to discern the difference if I were to opt for the accessory cable that is supposed to make the ER4P into the ER4S? Who knows. I won't know till I can come up with the meager money to buy one, which I can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back