Corda XXS, MiniBox-E+ or Ibasso P2?
Feb 14, 2008 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rav

1000+ Head-Fier
Looking to get an amp to partner my iriver 120 and my livewires, to be used in a portable setting. It needs to be slim enough to be pocketable, and have a black enough background so as to not upset the livewires (which will pick up the slightest amount of hiss). I like a slightly bright presentation, as i feel that this is where the livewires are at their weakest.

I think i've narrowed it down to the above three, each has it's advantages but none stand out as the clear winner.

The XXS is narrowest, but it's also the longest, not a problem as it's still smaller than the iriver, but i don't know if the thickness will be too much. I like that it uses a regular 9v battery, but it's got no gain select, so if there's any hiss i'm humped. Meier audio is in EU, so i won't have to pay any taxes, but it's also the most expensive option.

The Minibox is obviously the thinnest option, but it's also a little wider than the iriver, although i don't think it will be a problem. Has more features than the XXS, is cheaper and has been very well recieved here on head fi. I think i'm right in thinking that it doesn't have a gain select per se, but a built in resistance adapter.

The Ibasso is the cheapest option, but it's still more feature rich than the XXS. It's the biggest of the trio, and i don't know if it will be too big to fit in my pocket with the iriver. The 3 place gain option does appeal to me, however, as does the bass boost (although i can EQ via rockbox).

The last option would be an RSA Tomahawk, but it's about twice as much money as any of the others, and i've heard conflicting reports of it's synergy with the livewires.

Anyone care to weigh in on my above choices, or throw in something else from left field?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 9
Did you mean P1 or D1?

The P1 is out of production IIRC, and is now replaced by the iBasso P2.

D2 is attractive because of what I believe people mention is its killer implemented DAC and op-amp rolleability. The only drawback is that its gargantuan.

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 9
According to the Corda product page, the XXS is exactly like the Headsix, and the Headsix has a gain jumper inside the case. For the size, sound and easy battery swap with common 9v(battery life also being long around 40-50 hours), you can't go wrong with the Headsix.

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you mean P1 or D1?

The P1 is out of production IIRC, and is now replaced by the iBasso P2.

D2 is attractive because of what I believe people mention is its killer implemented DAC and op-amp rolleability. The only drawback is that its gargantuan.

Oops, yeah, meant P2
redface.gif

I'm hoping ibasso will release a DAC only unit that's smaller, but i doubt it'll happen.

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 9
Gah, I meant D1 x_x

P2 has no DAC options x_x
But 3 bass bosst and 3 gain settings is quite a bit of stuff IMO =)

DAC only options are very costly things out there.

Kinda wished iBasso would release a DAC only unit with multiple inputs, but since we iRTiver H1x0 users are kinda rare (From what I reckon), I don't think its possible either x_x

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 9
these also are my choices to pair with shure e4c....

my music is jazz,pop,new wave

which amp do u suggest i would get? thanks

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the Corda product page, the XXS is exactly like the Headsix, and the Headsix has a gain jumper inside the case. For the size, sound and easy battery swap with common 9v(battery life also being long around 40-50 hours), you can't go wrong with the Headsix.

Yeah, i'm thinking it might be the best option at this point, especially as the P2 is still out of stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back