Corda XXS - Corda 2move - Headamp Pico ??
Jan 28, 2008 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
Well sometimes the more you search the more confused you get
biggrin.gif
However I think I have narrowed it down to these 3. I really don't want a dac with my amp, but if the pico or 2move sound better than the moveXXS I would go for one of those as they all look pretty small. I guess my main question is has anyone got a chance to compare the coeda XXS to the 2move ? I assume the 2move sounds like the original move, so if the XXS performs the same, I would grab it. The pico (sans dac) seems sweet also, but I think the wait is going to be very long
frown.gif

Thanks !!!

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 40
From what I've learned... the amps in each of the following should be identical: Move, 2Move, HeadSix, XXS.

The difference in these is really the DACs and Crossfeed circuits - so, there should be no difference in their sound, when not using the DACs and crossfeeds - at least that's my understanding.

Perhaps someone... who's heard all / some can confirm.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 40
So just to be clear, no one has actually heard the XXS or 2Move - they became available today for the first time!

However, Jan did tell me in no uncertain terms that the AMP only section of the 2Move is identical to the Move. I directly compared the Pico and the Move, and they are both excellent. The Pico has the slightly prettier midrange, and the Move the slightly better bass and very top end treble, but I mean only VERY slightly.

Since the OP does not need a DAC, thought, the amp-only Pico might be the best choice, as it's smaller (and prettier
smily_headphones1.gif
), and only a very small amount more money. On the other hand, I think there is quite a wait with the Pico at the moment, and the 2Move is in stock ready to ship I'm sure - that is just how Jan works.

Sonically, though, Can't really go wrong with either one, though.

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 40
I don't know what kind of headphone you are planning to drive with this amp ? If it's below 250 ohms, you should check the Meier Headsix. It's the same amp as the XXS and it's only $165 with the shipping included. (I'm not sure if they are still available..)

Otherwise, grab the Headsix that is currently on sale for $125. (Go in sales section..)

Patrick

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hope some early adopters post here about the DAC on the 2move in comparison to other portable USB DAC solutions soon

I think that I might be the first one here to answer your question.

I got an email from Jan this morning and I should receive my 2Move later this week or early next week
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll let you know..

Patrick

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what kind of headphone you are planning to drive with this amp ? If it's below 250 ohms, you should check the Meier Headsix. It's the same amp as the XXS and it's only $165 with the shipping included. (I'm not sure if they are still available..)

Otherwise, grab the Headsix that is currently on sale for $125. (Go in sales section..)

Patrick

I don't know about you guys, but this is a very good suggestion
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So just to be clear, no one has actually heard the XXS or 2Move - they became available today for the first time!

However, Jan did tell me in no uncertain terms that the AMP only section of the 2Move is identical to the Move.

What about the amp in either version of the Move compared to the HeadSix, or XXS - are they the same, except for the Crossfeed? Do the HeadSix and XXS have the current or gain (whatever) adjustment?

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the amp in either version of the Move compared to the HeadSix, or XXS - are they the same, except for the Crossfeed? Do the HeadSix and XXS have the current or gain (whatever) adjustment?

This is the same amp as the 2Move but with the 2Move you have also the crossfeed and the high current mode. (IMO, the high current mode is very important if you plan to use the amp with the HD580/600/650 or the AKG 701.)

Patrick

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

This is the same amp as the 2Move but with the 2Move you have also the crossfeed and the high current mode. (IMO, the high current mode is very important if you plan to use the amp with the HD580/600/650 or the AKG 701.)

Patrick

I think high current mode is for low impedance phones (like Grados), high impedance phones need more voltage than current...

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think high current mode is for low impedance phones (like Grados), high impedance phones need more voltage than current...

No it's the inverse..

The Corda2Move is able to provide 18 mA in high current mode while the XXS/Headsix is only able to provide a maximum of 7 mA.

Patrick

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

No it's the inverse..

The Corda2Move is able to provide 18 mA in high current mode while the XXS/Headsix is only able to provide a maximum of 7 mA.

Patrick

I am really quite shure: high impedance phones need more voltage and relatively less current. Low impedance phones need more current.

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #13 of 40
Just to clarify.

High current consumption mode means that the amp needs more current when idle. Internally the supply voltage is doubled. Therefore this mode is better for high impedance headphones.

Low current consumption mode implies a current consumption of 7mA when idle. However, the amp is still able to provide much more on demand!

Cheers

Jan

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 40
Also, the Move sounds better in high current mode anyway. The best sound is found using high current, low gain.

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 40
So what does this all mean???

That the Move/2Move amp is better than that of the HeadSix/XXS, because it can be configured to meet the demands of Grados, or Senns, or whatever phones - whereas that is not the case with the HeadSix/XXS???

If so, which type of phones mate best with the HeadSix/XXS - Grados (low impedence), or Senns (higher impedence)???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back