Corda Opera low power output
May 16, 2009 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

yossi126

500+ Head-Fier
Jusr got is yesterday from Don. Great sounding amp, but i have one problem.
Volume just isn't enough in some cases of low-level videos/recordings.
Tried all different variations of gain and headphone out.
Also the digit signal on the right is bleeping.
Is there anything to do?

May 18, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 6
The Opera isn't the loudest amp out there for high impedance headphones. I've found very few solid state amplifiers can output enough current for high impedance cans. Tube amps are usually the best in that area.

There are solid state amps that do provide lots of power, they are just very expensive, around twice the price of the Opera. I need to get one too, eventually.

May 18, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jusr got is yesterday from Don. Great sounding amp, but i have one problem.
Volume just isn't enough in some cases of low-level videos/recordings.
Tried all different variations of gain and headphone out.
Also the digit signal on the right is bleeping.
Is there anything to do?

It's been a few months since owning the Opera, but let's see if I can recall..

Volume - function of high Z or low Z (gain). Driving the AKG K501 (notoriously hard to drive) I used the high Z with the volume know turned to around 9 or 10 o'clock just to make volume loud enough to listen to.

The blinking red light has to do with whether your digital input is connected or not. If your source is properly connected, turned on and the Opera is also on with music playing, the light will go solid red. If not, then it blinks.

If you can tell us more about your source and your headphones it would be useful.

May 20, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 6
In most of cases, the Opera is loud enough to drive the DT880/250 with hi-gain mode. I think you should check if the gain level is relatively low and do something on this tier. Or you can mail to Jan to see if any thing can do, I know that he may modify the default gain internally, I am not sure. You're better check with him. Good Luck.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 6
low input imp of Corda makes it a challenging partner to mate a source with. For example my tube DAC has an output imp of 2k, which is 1/6 of the input imp of Opera. A combination like that makes for a dull and unengaging sound, which most would attribute to a sound that's lack of deep bass and/or dynamics. Finding a source with low output imp may be a difficult task; examples of such sources would be DAC 1 (30ohm via RCA) and Transporter (100ohm via RCA). I am sure there are better sources out there with low output imp (Theta and dCS comes to mind).

Another 'problem' with Corda is its low voltage gain. But that's an easy problem to fix. All you need to do is find a source with a variable or high output such that the actual Vrms of source out is somewhere around 3-4V, compared to 2V from most sources. This kind of input voltage (to Opera) should be enough to drive HD650 (on low-gain mode)to the level of Dynahi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back