corda opera as pre-amp?
Jun 20, 2008 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mochimon

100+ Head-Fier
i've been spending a lot of time looking into setting up a speaker system lately, and it just hit me that i might be able to use my headphone amp as a pre-amp and buy a nice power amp.

does this sound viable? does the opera do good as a pre?

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm using my HR Micro Amp for this purpose- I find myself listening to the speakers more than the headphones, especially since I only have IEMs right now. It works well.

A lot of people are using self-amped monitors.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 5
yeah man. i've been noticing lately that i tend to enjoy speakers more for casual listening. i've been selling off my lesser used cans in hopes of building a nice little speaker fund, but things keep coming up!

i just set up the opera as a pre-amp for my little T-amp and it sounds incredible. im using crappy cables and a lackluster source (NAD CDP)but it is really fun. i think headphone amp as pre-amp is the way to go.

im going to go hunting for some vintage klipsch's tomorrow!

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 5
what t-amp are you using? I'm trying to decide between the kingrex or going the other direction and getting some mono amps- Marantz ma500s

Jun 24, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 5
im just using the sonic impact at the moment, but am probably going to go with some monoblocks as well for my final setup. thought the King Rex is pretty tempting (the un-upgraded version got best of 2007 at 6moons).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back