Corda Opera and Grado GS1000, but now what?
Nov 8, 2007 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kwilkins

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my Corda Opera and have begun checking it out with the GS1000 headphones. My setup includes all songs in iTunes imported from CD’s using the apple lossless format. I’m using USB to connect the computer to the Opera.

This creates a bit of a problem with the open GS1000’s because the fan on my Apple PowerMac G5 is fairly loud and somewhat objectionable. So I’m considering picking up a pair of closed phones, which I assume will eliminate or greatly reduce the bothersome fan noise from my Mac.

I’ve just gotten into listing to headphones a few months ago and am still quite a novice. However, I have read a fair amount on Head-Fi about the importance of synergy within a system and particularly with amp and phones. So, I’d like to know what closed headphones you would recommend to match up well with the Opera. At a recent meet-up in Philadelphia I briefly listened to a pair of Audio Technica ATH2002’s and was very pleased with them, although that was not with the Opera as I didn’t have it then.

My music taste is varied with a lean towards classic rock, acoustic rock, and some alternative. I’ve recently really gotten into Radiohead, My Morning Jackets, Amos Lee, Cat Power. I’ve also begun listing to Jazz for the first time ever. I appreciate Jazz so much more through my phones than through standard speakers. My budget is $1,500, but $1,000 would be better
wink.gif

Thanks for any recommendations and advice you can offer.

Ken

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 17
Unfortunately, I haven't found a pair of closed phones that will touch the likes of the GS-1000. I've settled on Senn HD 280 Pro and Ultrasone HFI-650 for my closed phone use (recording). You might consider a great IEM instead.

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 17
People say good things about the JVC DX1000. Although personally, no closed phone has ever sounded to me like a proper open phone. You could also replace the fan in your Mac with a quiet one.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by OscrDGrch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, I haven't found a pair of closed phones that will touch the likes of the GS-1000. I've settled on Senn HD 280 Pro and Ultrasone HFI-650 for my closed phone use (recording). You might consider a great IEM instead.

You have not heard an Edition 9 =] There is the constant argument it seems when choosing, which is better E9 or GS1k

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have not heard an Edition 9 =] There is the constant argument it seems when choosing, which is better E9 or GS1k

x2

For as far as I can recall I like the ED9 better than the GS1K. I haven't had the opportunity to compare them side by side though and I only listened to the ED9 during a meet. (dexdexter's pair that is)

Nov 8, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

You have not heard an Edition 9

You're right, I haven't had a chance to sample the Edition 9. I suppose it would be an option.

+1 to mdarnton's response

Nov 8, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 17
The thing about a decent cd-spinner is questionable. Any computer can be altered to be quiet with $200 at most (if you are good - $30, just buy large low-rpm fans). I use a comp + speakers/k340/hd590, but because all my fans are fairly large noise is not an issue.

On the other hand, spending lots of money on a CD spinner could prove uncomfortable because immediately the guy needs to have lots of CDs. Digital music is very much useful and comfortable if chosen to be...

So ya, honest best recommendation was the one involving getting a quieter rig, although doing it via $1000 worth of upgrades is not necessary. If noise still bothers ye - look at Edition 9s.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

On the other hand, spending lots of money on a CD spinner could prove uncomfortable because immediately the guy needs to have lots of CDs. Digital music is very much useful and comfortable if chosen to be...

I couldn't agree more. I find it extremely convenient to use all digital music and want to get the best sound quality I can without having to go with CD's. I've imported all my CD's into itunes using the Apple Lossless format, and I can get a quieter computer.

Now, back on topic. Are there any other recommendations for a closed headphone that would match well with the Opera?

Ken

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 17
IMHO the newer intel mac pros are -much- quieter than the later g5's. Those things were just too damn hot.

So, that may be an option as you'll have to upgrade eventually. When the newer machines are out, the current mac pros should have a nice discount.

That said, I like my dt-770's for low volume listening, they're voiced just right for that imho - I spose with your pockets you could try a darth.

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 17
Well, I like my Ed9s + Opera just fine, but I don't have enough other experience to make that suggestion over anything else. If you like listening at low volume with the GS1000s, though I don't think the 9s work as well low as they do high.

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 17
get a slimdevices squeezebox.

if you want balanced then the transporter. also look into offerings from sono. Or airtunes.

cost is between 200-2000

you can wirelessly stream music from your computer to your headphone rig. Keeping the computer in another room. Or buy a core2duo mac. The fan only comes on my macbook when it is under a full load

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #15 of 17
If you can, move the CPU 10-20 feet away
via wireless keyboard/mouse and long
USB cables as needed. (And a long DVI or whatever-needed cable for the monitor.)
Even when not using headphones, you'll enjoy the quiet. Also, try a new case fan (like
a scythe from coolerguys.com).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back