Corda Move: a cheap alternative to a desktop amp for a HP-amp newbie?
Jul 26, 2007 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Cosmic Fool

100+ Head-Fier
Do some of the Move-owners use this amp with a cd-player? I have no experience whatsoever with HP-amps, so the Move would be my first steps in 'HP-amp' land. The included DAC is a nice extra for me, but not essential. Is it a good idea to start with a portable amp? Or is the gap - SQ-wise - with home-amps really that big? I would like to know for sure if I hear the difference (i.e. if my ears are sensitive enough). FYI I currently use a Beyerdynamic DT 990 (05, 250 Ohm) with a Marantz SR 4320 receiver and a Marantz CD 5400 CDP.

P.S.: I have already asked this questions in the big Move topic but my post got kind of lost in all the battery and power supply discussions.

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have already asked this questions in the Move thread but my post got kind of lost in all the battery and power supply discussions.

Sorry, I haven't Beyer headphone experience and expected someone else to respond. The Move drives my HD650s (250 ohm) under external power fine (high gain). The HD650s work with the 9v and even USB power but the best power source is the external PS.

The Move sound is fine IMO for home use, especially to get a feel for what is out there without investing too much. You will get nice clean sound out of it. A home amp does better with wall power and nice big power supply components and you won't get that level out of a stepped-down wall wart, but that is the tradeoff. When you get upgrade-itis you can always use the move with a laptop/ipod/imod/etc for portable sound or sell/trade it here.

There's other options that I'm sure lots of people will bring up shortly in the way of lower cost home amps.
wink.gif
A used Aria in the $350 range might work if you can increase your budget a bit.

Best of luck and happy shopping!

EDIT Oh, the most important thing, you will need RCA to 3.5mm stereo phono plugs to connect your CDP to the move. There is no way to connect via toslink or coax digital--you didn't specify that and I don't know if that is a deal-breaker or not for you.

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the reply! The used Aria option may be tempting, but I would need to buy it from a European user for the correct voltage of the power supply. And I am aware of the RCA to 3.5 mm stereo cable. Jan Meier sells such cables for a nice price so I don't have any problems with it. As long as the quality is good enough of course.

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 14
I'm getting a lot of use out of my Move at home in the last two weeks since I got it, to the exclusion of my Opera. It works well with everything I have, only lacks the extreme smoothness of the Opera, and it's easier to use anywhere in the house. If I didn't own either, and had them side-by-side to choose, based on price and convenience, I'd probably choose the Move. Which doesn't mean that I'm getting rid of the Opera, since I have it.

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Do some of the Move-owners use this amp with a cd-player? I have no experience whatsoever with HP-amps, so the Move would be my first steps in 'HP-amp' land.

I used a Micromega CD player with the MOVE and they serve me extremely well. Considering its price, even cost/performance ratio it's a real bargain.

If this is your first HP amp then it should be a good starting point. Like itsbroken said the input is only mini so you need to have a RCA-mini adapter (for example Audioquest M22F) or a RCA-mini cable. SQ wise I think you will be satisfied (considering it's your first HP amp).

You can always upgrade to a desktop amp after this...
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdarnton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting a lot of use out of my Move at home in the last two weeks since I got it, to the exclusion of my Opera. It works well with everything I have, only lacks the extreme smoothness of the Opera, and it's easier to use anywhere in the house. If I didn't own either, and had them side-by-side to choose, based on price and convenience, I'd probably choose the Move. Which doesn't mean that I'm getting rid of the Opera, since I have it.

That's a nice compliment for the Move I say! The problem that I have with my receiver is not really a matter of volume but the feeling that it doesn't strike my DT 990's with enough authority. If this is the case with the Move I would dare to risk it and buy one. And Itsborken has a good point that if Upgrade-Itis hits me I can still use it with my PC and laptop. Any DT 990 owners that are able to convince me for once and for all?

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by klemchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used a Micromega CD player with the MOVE and they serve me extremely well. Considering its price, even cost/performance ratio it's a real bargain.

If this is your first HP amp then it should be a good starting point. Like itsbroken said the input is only mini so you need to have a RCA-mini adapter (for example Audioquest M22F) or a RCA-mini cable. SQ wise I think you will be satisfied (considering it's your first HP amp).

You can always upgrade to a desktop amp after this...
wink.gif

The TECH+LINK mini-to-RCA interconnect from Meier should do the trick, right?

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 14
As I said in some other thread yesterday, with my phones, which aren't yours, the thing that keeps me coming back to the Move is the authority factor. I've been listening to Beethoven's 7th repeatedly the last few days, and in the first movement there are a lot of percussive runs which are considerably over-emphasized by the Move, to the point where the orchestra sounds like it's made of bouncing rabbits. I switched back and forth between the Move and Opera, just to make sure, and it's definitely the Move that's doing it. But my phones are all more current hungry rather than voltage needy.

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Thanks for the reply! The used Aria option may be tempting, but I would need to buy it from a European user for the correct voltage of the power supply.

Maybe not...I know very little about European power but it appears there is a voltage selector on the back of the Aria on Dr. Meier's website. Crossing my fingers that this may work for you. When the Cantante gets released soon there might be some Arias listed as people upgrade.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe not...I know very little about European power but it appears there is a voltage selector on the back of the Aria on Dr. Meier's website. Crossing my fingers that this may work for you. When the Cantante gets released soon there might be some Arias listed as people upgrade.

That's a great observation! And it may well be the perfect solution. I just have to be patient for a little while. Although, the Cantate could be launched any day now, so it could go very quick. Thanks again, Itsborken!

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Yes you are right! If you go to DIY forum there are lots of pictures of DIY RCA-mini cables.

Aug 1, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Yes, that should work fine, it's the same I used on my Aria to connect my iMod.
And YGPM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif
A used Aria in the $350 range might work if you can increase your budget a bit.

Even new, price jof Aria just get down as Cantate arrive
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back