Corda Headsix.... Wow.
May 9, 2011 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Owwmyeye

New Head-Fier
This is my first thread, and I'd just like to say that I'm a budding audiophile. I'm a college student and either going for biomedical or audio engineer. 

I just received the Corda Headsix I bought from another forum member and all I can say is wow. Before I got it, I was really skeptical as to how an amp could actually change the sound of headphones, but now I can really see the difference. I was running Beyerdynamic DT770s and ATH-M50s off a tiny little E5 thinking that I need just a bit more power to make them sound near their max potential, but now I realize how wrong I was. The treble and mids are just brought out so much by the Headsix. The bass is more full (although not louder at all). I could notice some tiny things in Tori Amos and Evanescence songs that I could never hear before; the instruments just had so much more depth (not sure if that's the right word). It's just such a great experience to listen to it. The DT770s are no longer just a headphone I use for their comfort. 

I'm really tempted to buy a decent desktop amp now, but I don't think it would be that much better than my Headsix at a similar price range. I'll wait until my birthday for that. My wallet will survive (at least until I'm out of college)!

May 9, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:

I'm really tempted to buy a decent desktop amp now, but I don't think it would be that much better than my Headsix at a similar price range. I'll wait until my birthday for that. My wallet will survive (at least until I'm out of college)!

A week ago, I would not have said what I am about to say - get the Fiio E9. I was skeptical - only the price convinced me that it wouldnt be a total disaster if it turned out to be a dud. Just let it run for the first 10-20 hours without listening to it critically, then strap yourself in for an experience. Big amps, done properly, really do sound bigger.

Caveat : the amp itself is a lump of black plastic, and a singularly unattractive one at that. Amazingly, the wallwart PSU is even more unattractive - the big plus is that both are light enough to easily throw the lot in a backpack when you go home (or wherever) on vacation.

May 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 7
Ha HA HA I am in the same boat waiting on my LYR to ship I bought a meier Stepdance from a forum member. Outstanding is all I can say now my LYR has shipped so I am wondering if the desktop is going to be that much better. My Stepdance has turned my good headphones into outstanding headphones. Now I am thinking about getting another set of phones to get a little more luxurious sound from the LYR. It is better sound than I ever could have imagined.

May 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 7
I have the headsix as well.
It's amazing. As a desktop amp I use a iBasso D4, with a 1612 (or 2 1611's to dual=HiFlight's Topkit), it's very similar to the headsix.
The treble and midrange is even a little better, bass is very tight but I would give the advantage to the headsix there.
Out of the box, the D4 is still OK. Before I changed the opamps, I was feeding the line-out to my headsix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back