Corda HA-2
Dec 3, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #18 of 27
Dear Jude,

"Jan, is that output rating any different for the PreHead with the AD8610 opamp option?"

No, it isn't :)

Both amps share the same output buffers and thereby have the same current capacities. The main difference is that the output voltage at the AD8610 is limited to 12V whereas the LM6171 version goes to 13V. That hardly makes any difference.

"does it only come in LM6171 opamp flavour?"

Principly yes, but if you explicitly ask we also can make it a AD8610 version. We won't advertize this option though.

Cheers,

Jan

Dec 4, 2002 at 1:16 AM Post #19 of 27
How could I not reply to this?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Meier
"Would you care to share? What can we expect in the near future?"

if time is there I hope to bring a passive crossfeed filter that can be placed in front of every ordinary headamp. It basically is the natural crossfeed filter with a build-in compensation for the load impedance represented by the amp.

Excellent news, though I had honestly hoped early on that the Prehead would include this functionality. I worry a little about what signature of its own such a device would add.

Quote:

More recently Harry and I started testing various interconnect cables. To be honest, we find prices of most interconnects rather overcharged and consider bringing some cables of our own.

I wonder if you've already looked into diycable.com and Jon Risch and Ven Haus formulas? Of course, I couldn't agree more that most commercial cables seem overpriced considering the cost of material and construction.

I also wonder if you might be able to offer your own HD600 replacement cable or offer pre-cabled versions of other headphones like the DT931 and Ultrasone 650. This seems like a natural expansion and something a lot of people would opt for. (Do they do "upsizing" at fast food places in Europe or is that only for chubby Americans?)

Quote:

Next project might be a new low-budget amp. an upgrade of the HA-1. However, this will not be launched within the next half year. I simply don't have the time.

I wondered if some lessons may have been learned since when the HA-1 was original crafted that could be implemented without (much) additional cost. This might be a good place for opamp options.

Quote:

And last there's that small poweramp...

Have you discovered some way to make these affordably? The idea of a platoon of opamps is interesting but your prototype is so labor intensive that it seems like it'd be too expensive to be worthwhile. If the Prehead is indicative of potential, though, it's something I'll be curious about at least.

Quote:

But we shouldn't forget to mention that .........

Oops, I won't tell you that
evil_smiley.gif

Curiouser and curiouser. I think Meier also needs an "ultimate" portable amp. The Cosmic needs a commercial challenger.

EDIT:
smily_headphones1.gif

One other thing I'd love to see from Meier is a full blown equalizer. The Analoguer has not been well received but imagine if this functionality also existed within a high quality multi-band equalizer. This could also include presets (or just settings listed in the manual) that produce a more "flat" response when paired with one of the Corda headphone amps and popular headphones like the DT931 and HD600. While there are a number of EQs on the market already, there are few that are both of high quality and affordable and there are none that include the functionality of the analoguer circuit and bass enhancer.

I've upset other manufacturers by being too eager to suggest (or beg for) other new products so please take this as it's intended. I'm just a fan, not a business planner.

Dec 4, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #20 of 27
First the A1000's price get spiked, now there's an HA-2 sitting just in the outer regions of my theroretical grasp. Is this someone's attempt to land me a second job? Maybe I should just sell my wallet to afford more gear..

Ok, so I'll ask my round then, how is the HA-2 in compairison to the HA-1 with various upgrades such as the popular "blue" mod? (And how much does the blue mod cost?) Also, is their any chance the opamp will be slotted for easy tinkering? I think I read something about this and they couldn't just be switched? I don't remember... BTW, I'm VERRY happy to see 1/4" jacks, they are so much sexier than 1/8". 1/8 is like "shclick" where as 1/4 is like "shhuclunk." And I guess there is the fact that it's easier to go 1/8 to 1/4 rather than 1/4 to 1/8...
biggrin.gif
Well anyway, I'm happy to see the good getting better, even if it is going to be the death me.
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #21 of 27
There are certainly similarities with the new HA-2 and PreHead with the Corda Blue mods:

** Schottky rectifying diodes in the power
supply.

** polypropylene capacitors in the signal path.

**opamps biased into class-A using current sources.

** BUF634 buffer amplifiers at each headphone
output channel.

There were space limitations in the HA-1 that limited what could be done in the power supply...the schottky diodes were hard enough to fit in! There is always much more that can be done when you do a new layout vs modifiing an existing layout as in the Corda Blue mods.

Congraduations to Jan for what seems to be an excellent product evolution.

P.S. I bet one could double up those BUF634s in the output stage...
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 4, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #22 of 27
Thanks for the input Kurt. Hehe, if you make an upgrade package for the HA-2 will you decide on a new color?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #23 of 27
"I bet one could double up those BUF634s in the output stage."

Won't make much of a difference.

In contrast to the CORDA BLUE the buffers of the HA-2 are placed inside the feedback loop of opamps. These opamps make the sound, not the buffers.

Cheers,

Jan

Dec 5, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #24 of 27
For those interested, the HA-2 information now appears on the http://www.meier-audio.com along with all of the new slightly higher prices for everything and missing kits for HA-1s.
frown.gif

(They're still good values, but price increases are never fun.)

Dec 5, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

I agree. The actual price increase is modest, IMO. But it has a psychological impact. Considering I haven't had a pay raise in 2 years, and in addition we got pay cut because of the company and economic situation. It set my income level back to 5 year ago.
frown.gif

I wish the economy will turn around soon....

Dec 5, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #26 of 27
Jan,

Quote:

However, if time is there I hope to bring a passive crossfeed filter that can be placed in front of every ordinary headamp. It basically is the natural crossfeed filter with a build-in compensation for the load impedance represented by the amp.

This would be most welcome, and I hope that you produce it.

--Andre

Dec 5, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
For those interested, the HA-2 information now appears on the http://www.meier-audio.com along with all of the new slightly higher prices for everything and missing kits for HA-1s.
frown.gif

ive been eyeing the corda since i first saw it. i want it sooo bad!!
the fact that I've been loving the sound of my porta corda with the hd600 really says something about this amps. the corda ha-2 will rock..

There needs to be another big shootout between the $500-$1K SS amps. The ha-1, ha-2, prehead, gilmore, full meta42, headmaster and the headroom lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back