Corda HA-1 MKII lack of bass? or is it my AKG's?
Jan 20, 2005 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

master83

Head-Fier
Hi!

I've just bought myself a used Meier Audio Corda HA-1 MKII (220V version - EU) for my AKG K271 Studio cans, and I must say that it kinda disappoints me in the bass region. I had a B-tech cheapo 70$ amp before and it was able to shake my AKGs around abit, but the Corda fails to deliver. During rock songs it seems that the bass is not present at all. It sounds amazing in the middle and top region though. Very crisp and clear. Could it be my setup? Cables? Please post your thoughts on how the corda is supposed to drive my 55ohms akg's. Also if i turn the bass too high on the EQ I get distortion..
frown.gif

My setup now: SB live 1024 soundcard->gold cable->corda->stock akg cable->AKG K271s

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 14
Well, ya might want to upgrade that there source. I am, however, kind of surprised that you'd find less bass on an amp such as the HA1 in comparison to your other one. Some people have said that the K271 is a little bass-light, but that's still no excuse if you've found their bass to be perfectly acceptable on another amp.

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 14
master83, what kind of bass do you find missing? Is it more the amount of overall bass (in terms of which frequencies are covered), volume, speed, extension, a certain frequency such as upper/mid/lower bass, lack of bass decay, or something else?

Actually, I had a similar situation today. I compared my E3 run directly from my Sony D-465 portable cd player using digital bass boost (max level) - to the E3 run from a Porta Corda MKI and the player's line out. Due to the lack of bass boost, there was less bass but a more refined and realistic sounding bass. In a portable situation I actually prefer the more bloated and hence more predominant yet fun sounding bass but at home I'd probably choose the more refined bass from the amp.
My bass boost does not really increase the volume of the original bass frequencies only but increases the whole lower registers so that the frequencies needed are louder as well as frequencies that lead to this less refined and more muddy presentation. I'm not implying that your other amp did a similar thing but it might be a somehow similar experience.

Maybe you should just give the Corda some time and then go back to your other amp. In my experience, the Corda Ha-1 MKII did not lack any bass when I tried it with the HD 650 and Beyer 880 but I haven't tried it with the AKG 271. I thought that the 271 wasn't the best bass headphone in terms of bass impact to begin with but maybe your old amp and that Akg had a good synergy going on.

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 14
Are you using crossfeed? According to the HA-1 manual (which I assume you don't have since you bought the amp used,) crossfeed causes an apparent lack of bass because low frequency sounds heard in only one ear are very unnatural to the brain and therefore very noticeable. If you want more detail, the manual is available as a PDF on the Meier Audio site.

That said, I find the bass of the HA-1 MkII/DT880 combo to be very satisfying, even with crossfeed turned on.

Jan 23, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 14
I find the bass and the overall sound REALLY great in music such as rap/r&b and e.g. trance that have good recording, but not good on rock/metal music. When playing r&b there is a firm and nice bass as well as crisp clear highs, but when I play original CD's with metal e.g Dream Theater (that I think should have great mixing) the bass kindda disappears due to all the other instruments in the mids taking up power. The soundstage, detail and all is without a doubt much better with the Corda HA1 MKII than my old B-Tech 928 amp (which is broken now..) but the b-tech was able to shake my aks's around with nice deep bass wheater is was metal or r&b that was playing..

Do you think upgrading to a better cable, or doing the akg cotton fill in tweek, or upgrading my soundcard to a 0404 or 1212 will do any difference? In what order would you upgrade?

Also, maybe my AKG's need replacement? I would like to try an open headphone with lower impendence and higher sensitivity.Maybe that'll do the trick. Anyone know of any 200-300$ headphone that the corda ha1 mkII will drive really great with deeeeep bass and nice mids and highs?

thanks

also: the bass is lacking with or without crossfeed

Jan 23, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 14
Hi ...

I use 0404 -> HA1-Mk2 -> HD600 and the 0404 did make a big difference (was using onboard before). There was so much more power with the E-mu (subtract like 2-3 hours of volume) and the bass is really intense and much more detailed now.

About the distortion when using eq: try lowering the volume with the eq's preamp, then raise the bass and the volume with your HA1 ... more bass and there should be no distortion.

I also listened to some of my older metal-albums and found that some of them really don't like bass ... on Hammerfalls "Glory to the Brave" I was not able to spot the bass-guitar without addiing LOTS! of bass ... on the other hand ... with some Manowar-stuff pretty much all you hear is bass-guitar ... maybe its all internal-band-politics
wink.gif
... don't know about Dream Theater though ...

and crossfeed really does costs a lot bass ... especially if that bass is only heard on one channel

Jan 23, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 14
I've been in a similar position: I recently received a CORDA Prehead, which I paired with some AKG 271S. Before this pairing I was running the AKGs amped by a powered speaker headphone out (Edirol MA-10s, not my favorite). With the Edirols, the bass on the AKGs was there, but perhaps kind of boomy. Now the the Prehead the bass has evaporated. I haven't tried using an equalizer yet, because I switched to some Ultrasone HD-700s which have somewhat better lows.

In trying to figure out a reason for this, I went back to Dr Meier's site, where he mentions that his amps are very "revealing."
Quote:

The PREHEAD is a most revealling amp. In itself this is an excellent feature but it also clearly shows all the limitations of your source and/or headphone. This can be most annoying, especially if source or phone tend to be on the harsh side.

My solution has been to use an equalizer with the Ultrasones, which would also probably work with the AKGs, which are way more comforatable. But since both pairs of headphones are relatively new, I'm trying to get used to them before I pass judgment.

In the meantime I'm enjoying what has been for me a definite increase in detail with my amp/headphones/DAC upgrade.

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 14
I've tried EQ-ing like a maniac but it seems that that it doesn't matter how I set it up, the trembeling, but maybe abit boomy bass is missing with the corda.Of course i dont want that kind of bass, but I want to hear and feel the deep bass at least without distortion on a 400$ amp. It might improve with some burn-in. I guess it has about 70-80 hrs (it was quite new when I bought it) I find that the sound is best if I turn the volume on the Corda nearly at max, set my soundcard to play for 2 speakers instead of headphones (which increases soundstage and detail ALOT) and set the bass/treble at perhaps 90%, and the volume on the computer at listening level. I guess I should buy a 0404 or 1212 at first to upgrade my source, and I'm sure that it'll improve the overall sound abit. Then continue with a new set of headphones perhaps. How is the corda ha1 mkII with high impendence headphones such as BD880 or HD650? aren't they even harder to drive?

thanks

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 14
With an amp like the Prehead, and to a lesser degree the HA-1 MKII, the bass is so much tighter than a lot of other amps. So, if you're used to boomier bass, it may seem quite less by comparison. But, from hearing them, it's hard for me to believe that either of these amps are lacking in bass.

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 14
If you have to set the Corda-volume to near-max (and if you're not almost deaf ^^) your source is even worse than my onboard (asus nforce2) ... get one of the E-mus ... you wont regret it for sure ...

I drive my hd600 @about 9.30-10.00 o'clock for metal (12 o'clock for classical ... but thats it) ... any louder starts feeling too much for the ears
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 14
well, do you have the volume on your computer set at max then? I don't. if I set the computer sound at max the sound get squeeky and distorted. Yes, I will invest in one of the emu's
rs1smile.gif
. Anyone know of a shop with great prices and good service? better support international shipping. European shop would be best. thanks!

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #14 of 14
Update: I've had the 0404 for a couple of days now and I must say the sound improved alot! not as much in dynamic, clarity as I had expected over my old sb live with serious eq-ing, but in the lower region. Using low pass filter really gives it the tight and deep bass I wanted
orphsmile.gif
Haven't really got a clue how to set all the EQ's so help for best sound settings would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back