Corda Eartube Arrived This Morning!!
Jan 11, 2007 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mhamel

500+ Head-Fier
I actually wasn't expecting it for a few days, so it was a bit of a surprise. The mailman rang the doorbell this morning and was waiting on my porch with a rather large box. At first, I thought it might be the Musiland DAC I ordered, but that's not due for a couple of weeks.

The first thing I'd like to comment on is how friendly and helpful Jan Meier has been in the process of buying this. He shipped the amp right away, and all things considered, 9 days to get here from Germany is pretty quick.

As I said, the box was HUGE compared to what I was expecting the size of the amp to be. Double boxed, packed like something from Fort Knox - it took 5 minutes of opening, removing padding and cutting tape just to get to the amp. The amp itself was tightly wrapped in plastic Again, huge kudos on really taking the extra time to make sure it arrived safely.

The build quality on the amp is very impressive as well. The finish is excellent, the chassis is built like a tank - and weighs about as much as one. Neutrik jacks,

I'm running with the included Chinese tubes for now. I'm going to let these tubs (and the amp) break in fully before I start rolling, but I've got some Bendix 6385's, some GE 5670's, and some Sylvania and Philips 6360's to try out once I get there.

I don't have the ideal source set up at the moment - still waiting for some things to come in, but for now I'm running a Slim Devices Squeezebox V3, connected on the back end to a dedicated music server with about 200G of music primarily in Apple Lossless format.

I'm using the analog out on the Squeezebox through a set of Blue Jeans cable interconnects.

Of course, on to the important stuff... Listening time!

As for my impressions on the sound, take ALL of this with a grain of salt -it's just initial thoughts, as the amp is brand new and has a long way to go before it's really broken-in.

I also don't have as varied a frame of headphone/head amp reference as a lot of people on here, but for comparison I've got various flavors of CMOY amps I've built, my portable "mouse amp", a modified Velleman pre-amp with a pretty decent headphone output, various receiver / preamp headphone outputs, and the headphone output of a Klipsch ProMedia preamp (which really isn't that bad, all things considered). I do have a pretty long hitory of being involved with audio be it with home systems, car systems and running live sound for bands.

When I first set up the amp, I gave it a few minutes to warm up and then gave it a listen with a pair of Sony MDR-7506's. I usually wear these while I'm working as they're fairly light and super comfortable with Beyer velour pads. Unfortunately, I did NOT like the sound at all. Seemed overly bright and harsh, without much low end at all. They lasted about 10 minutes before I'd had enough and unplugged them. I'll re-visit them once the amp has had some more break-in time.

Next up - my DT-770's, re-cabled with Canare cable. I like the sound of the 770's, they're very smooth, somewhat laid-back midrange, LOVE the bass, despite it being a bit sloppy at times. My Meta42 (4x buffers, crossfeed, external Gilmore power supply) drives them VERY well - slightly warm sound, tightens up the bass, good soundstage, etc.

So - all of that to say that the DT-770's seem to fit the Eartube MUCH better than the MDR-7506's at this point. The Eartube's midrange presence opens up the mids on the Beyers nicely without making them harsh at all. The sound is, for lack of a better word... liquid. Very smooth, very detailed, not harsh or fatiguing at all.

I would still like a bit more bass, but I can say that the usual sloppiness I've heard with these cans is gone. The bass has tightened up considerably, and while it doesn't quite have the authority I've heard them produce, I'm quite happy with the sound, and really looking forward to following through the break-in period to see where it goes. I've also got the DAC on order and a Behringer DEQ2496 sitting in the other room waiting to get checked out, so that might be a route to help a bit.

Another thing I noticed initially that is already changing for the better is the soundstage. My initial impression was that the soundstage was pretty narrow, but it is already starting to open up... so I don't want to comment too much on this yet other than to say it's definitely moving in the right direction so far. *grin*

One thing I immediately noticed and absolutely LOVE about this amp.... I listen to just about everything under the sun, but the primary genres I listen to are jazz, rock, classical, alternative, electronic, blues, and heavy metal. I'm still working my way through genres to see how things sound, but for the last hour of so I've been stuck in some rock/metal.

By it's very nature, there's a "wall of sound" feeling with metal, and metal guitar can get pretty harsh after a while. Oddly enough, listening to it helps me concentrate when I'm working, so I end up listening a lot.

There's a much more three-dimensional feel to the sound than I've heard on other amps, and a smoothness and musicality to sound that I've NEVER heard before. In the beginning of "Cemetary Gates" by Pantera, the detail this amp is reproducing is stunning. I'm hearing details in the acoustic guitar that I've never heard from this recording, and in this genre, this band and this album are probably one of the things I listen to the most. I have so much other music I want to listen to and comment on, but I just can't bring myself to switch just yet... so stay tuned.
biggrin.gif

-Mike

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 14
Congrats on the new amp. I've never seen any feedback on the Corda Eartube, so it's good to see yours. Keep posting your impressions as you listen please. =]

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 14
Ahhh....Very nice initial write up on Meiers Eartube Mike. Congrats....

I'll be following your updates enviously, of course
very_evil_smiley.gif
; I just can't wait till you roll some GEs and Sylvanias thru her... And your new DAC should really be interesting as to what that adds to the Squeezebox and its presentation. As I also run it as a source and have considered an outboard DAC with it....

Fun , fun, fun ;-}

Enjoy~

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 14
So... after a few more hours of listening, it's getting even better.

I've already noticed some improvement in soundstage - there seems to be more width and depth to it than my initial impressions. I've also noticed an improvement in the bass. It really hit me listening to some Crystal Method a little while ago. Very clean, very deep, and tight. I was in the middle of doing some work and it stopped me in my tracks, had to go back and listen again.
biggrin.gif

I've noticed the upper midrange becoming a bit more forward, but it hasn't lost the smoothness that I described earlier, which is nice.

I should also mention that it is VERY quiet. With nothing playing, I have to turn the volume up all the way to hear even the slightest noise, and even then it's not much. At normal listening levels the noise floor is a black hole.

I've gone through a few more artists and genres... some Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Stanley Jordan, 10,000 Maniacs, Fourplay, Guns 'n Roses, Crystal Method, Hendrix and about a dozen more.

I haven't tried again with the MDR-7506's, I'm going to give that a while and just enjoy the ride with the 770's for the time being.

Recstar - a few photos... sorry for the crappy quality, they were just quick shots... I'll get some more up once I get all of the gear in and set everything up. You can see them at:

http://www.richat.com/~mhamel/eartube/

Hi-Finthen - Thanks :) I have to say, I'm REALLY happy with the Squeezebox so far. I picked it up recently and I'm hooked. I love the live archives and Squeezebox network stuff. Sound quality on uncompressed source is pretty good. It'll definitely be interesting to hear it through the DAC vs the analog outs. I'm still on the fence about using the Squeezebox as the source vs the digital out on one of my Macs.

My original plan was source->DEQ2496->DAC->Eartube, but I don't know if I'm going to want/need the EQ at this point the more I'm listening to this.

I'd like to experiment with some other headphones, too... some AKG's, AT's and a pair of Darth Beyers, but I need to let the headphone budget recharge a bit after this round of buying. Hahahah

vcoheda - I don't know if this amp is being discontinued or not... if it is, I'm really glad I picked one up before they're gone. You'd have to ask Jan about that.

I hadn't heard much about it here, either, so it was a bit of a risk buying it without having much more background to go with. Jan's reputation for having a quality product certainly helped the decision, as well as how helpful he was in the process of buying it. It's also a lot of money to spend on a product you have to return to another country or sell for a loss if you don't like, so that could be part of the reason that it hasn't been more popular.

Personally, I think it's a good deal especially if it's still on sale, and am happy that I took the chance.

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 14
Wow, that's a really glossy finish on the amp. And how cmoe you have 2 cables running into your 1/4" TRS? Did you use 2 two conductor cables?

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 14
The photos look good to me. Too bad you can't see the tubes more clearly during operation. I love watching the tubes glow while I listen. I am a big Corda fan as well. My first amp was an HA-1 MKI way back. May get an Opera as well. We'll see. Anyway, very nice impressions of an amp not seen here too often.

Thanks.
600smile.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 14
Update... lots more listening/burn-in time...

I've had a crazy few days at work, including an all nighter Thurs/Fri, so I've had a pretty good amount of time to listen. In summary, still zero regrets about purchasing this amp.

The sound has gone through some definite changes. I've spent some time listening with my MDR-7506's now as well as the DT-770s. A good part of the day yesterday the mids had recessed quite a bit and some was some drop off in the bass levels, but that seems to have reversed now, and the 7506's are back to sounding too harsh. Honestly, I'm not sure how much of that is my having been completely sleep-deprived and exhausted late yesterday vs coming back today well-rested, but as always reviews are subjective, and I'm just reporting what I heard. :)

Imaging and soundstage remain excellent, as does the noise floor.

Another nice thing is having dual headphone jacks, so it's quick to switch between the two cans when making comparisons. Granted, the 7506's are lower impedance, easier to drive and significantly louder, so I do make some volume adjustments when comparing. I'm looking into picking up a pair of Darth Beyers and possibly some DT-990's to add to the collection, which should add some more perspective to things.

There were a couple of things earlier today that really struck me. I was listening to a live Stanley Jordan guitar recording, and a bit after that some live piano music. Both pieces sounded incredibly full and alive, much more so that I've heard before. Some words that come to mind are intricate, detailed, full, clean and musical. In particular, these two recordings convey a very strong sense of "being there."

Both were with the Beyers. Switching to the MDR7506's produced a bit more detail and a LOT more forward midrange, but completely lost the spatial soundstage that the Beyers were producing.

So, the burning-in continues, and as it does, I am thoroughly enjoying my new toy... and ultimate, amidst all of the specs, reviews, analysis and comparisons... that's what really counts.
340smile.gif

-Mike

Jan 14, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 14
Glad to see you are enjoying your new toy. I visited Dr. Meier's website and it describes the amp as:

Code:

Code:
[left]This is an amp for relaxed and comfortable listening.[/left]

Do you agree with his statement? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back