Corda & Crossfeed
Nov 16, 2001 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

discoman

100+ Head-Fier
Before I order the Corda, I was very wonder that can Crossfeed really make me feels like listening from speakers or even live concert. After a few days playing with it, the answer is NO.

The more I listen to headphones, the more I find out myself is using the whole body to detect sound all the time, even listen to music. This may cause by my hobby and part-time job. As a mechanic, I always need to diagnose the location of the problem, using my ears to determine the frequency, and using my body to feel the vibration. As the result, my ears and body listen at the same time. I have tried to using a sub, but my body can also hear 'highs' as well. So crossfeed cannot trick my mind, even with a sub. To be honest, a box of beers with closed phone are much easier to trick my mind.

So, is crossfeed useless for me? NO. I start enjoying using the low level. It feels weird at first couple CD, then I start use to it. At low level, the songs sound smoother. Sorry, I can't find a better word to describe it. The fact is, when I turn off the cross-feed, I need to trun it back on after a few minutes. I think I am addicted to it, but I still cannot tell why this happen. So far, I can only enjoy the low level. It still feels weird, but I like it. At the highest setting, I stare at my speakers and keep telling myself the music is from the spearkers, for a brief second, I am able to trick my mind, but only for a very brief second with right recording.

I don't find the crossfeed make the music more muddy, maybe only very tiny amount of less transparency. But I can now understand why other saying the crossfeed make the sound more muddy. With crossfeed is on, many of those 'super-headphone-stereo' is gone, or it is much less noticeable by our brain. Since we will never hear those stereo in normal daily life, these stereo is very noticeable when hearing to headphones. Once it's gone, it may seem more muddy, or less sharpness. I found it happens the most at mid-bass.

No matter you like crossfeed or not, you will enjoy Corda itself.

Nov 16, 2001 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 15
I am convinced that the crossfeed effect varies from individual to
individual some people like it and feel sound is improved. I use
no crossfeed as my hearing detects no benefits when used, and I do not find full stereo at all fatiguing as some do.

I do also find that a very small amout of air/transparancy of fine details is removed when crossfeed is used, on some music it is almost undetectable, but still another reason I prefer no crossfeed.

Nov 16, 2001 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 15
Brett
Can't comment on the MG head tube amp, have never tried one,
but IMO Corda is slightly better overall vs Creek OBH 11SE. I have both now and if I could only keep one it would be the Corda
even though I don't use the crossfeed.

Nov 17, 2001 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 15
They are both close in all respects of sound, Corda is just slightly better and offers more flexibility and features. You can effect bass to a much greater degree by using/buying different headphones.

Nov 19, 2001 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 15
It's just my darn HD600s that are too bassy.........

I should get my Clou cable soon. Hope that brightens things up.

cool.gif

Nov 20, 2001 at 7:44 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by domer2004
Damn, I gotta get that Corda/HD600 combo!! Ah so easily swayed am I.
smily_headphones1.gif

Brett

Hey bassman, forget the 600 and get the DT-250. Trust me, you won't be sorry.
Cheers,

Nov 20, 2001 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 15
Hi,

Got my Clou red last night and it really opened up the system. Thanks a lot Dark Angel. This cable is a BIG, HUGE improvement over the stock cable. There is now a lot more detail and extension to the music, - overall much less bassy sounding and more musical.

Dark Angel, do you consider your Homegrown interconnects "bright"?

I am tempted to just leave well enough alone, - but I probably won't be able to resist "playing."

If I upgrade to floorstanding speakers, - I bet the headphone/amp system would match up quite nicely.

Thanks again,

Nov 20, 2001 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 15
Upgrade fever now in full force!
very_evil_smiley.gif

You have just discovered what most Senn HD600 owners know,
Clou cable is mandatory upgrade!

By all means try to get Homegrown silver laces vs the cheaper line. The sliver laces are 8 strand vs 3 strand, and have much fuller/deeper bass and therefore sound smoother/more natural.
Silver laces are not at all bright sounding.

Sorry to make you spend all this money....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 22, 2001 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 15
Damn, I wish I had money to spen...I am sure that I am alone in this desire...
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe I will get the DT-250's AND the HD600's MUAHAHAHAHAHA So easy to spend money in your head. Oh yeah, Citibank likes for you to pay back your student loans...

Brett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back