CORDA COUNTRY
Apr 14, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #31 of 62
Dear friends,

just a short note that the COUNTRY project has been revived.

More information can be found on my website!

:)

Jan
Hi,
that's great news and am really happy for the revival ,,
how far the dsp ship you use from the one inside the BBE Sonic Maximizer ? because i tried that product and it effected the quality of the sound so much, though i liked the effect itself specially with the 80's music.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #32 of 62
Dear Guido,

to be honest, I have no information on what chip is used in the Maximizer so I can't really compare.

The one in the COUNTRY is an updated version of the chip used in the SOUL. It works with 64-bit resolution and in the SOUL, despite it's ultra-high resolution, I have not been able to detect any negative effects. You may read some reviews on the SOUL.

Did you use the analog outputs of the Maximizer? Be aware that the quality of the DA-conversion and the analog amplification section are very important. BBE produces budget-gear so I'm sure compromises were made in these sections.

Cheers

Jan

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #33 of 62
"you mention that you hadn't compared the DAC section to the DACCORD-FF. "

No, and up till today I haven't. The prototype is now "on tour". So hopefully you will get more impressions by other people within the next couple of weeks.
The CLASSIC is still in another league though. Active balanced ground, higher current capacities, .... Still makes sense to add a decent amp to the COUNTRY if you have one at hand.

Hello Jan,

I was really spiked by the news of reviving the project. But since in the meantime I've gotten the superb combo of DACCORD-ff and CLASSIC-ff this is the question that immediately came to my mind: How good is/would be/should be the COUNTRY compared to that combo? I'd love to have the same (or at least almost the same) quality sound at my girlfriend‘s as well as at my home (where DACCORD-ff and CLASSIC-ff have become my main listening station at the sofa) and it would be great if the COUNTRY could be that system.

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #34 of 62
Dear Toddy,

the DACCORD-FF / CLASSIC-FF combo is really nice and soundwise the COUNTRY will not be able to compete. The strength of the COUNTRY is with the digital controls.

Of course it's possible to connect your digital sources to the COUNTRY and then have the digital output of the COUNTRY connected to the DACCORD ...........

Cheers

Jan

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #38 of 62
Dear Guido,

to be honest, I have no information on what chip is used in the Maximizer so I can't really compare.

The one in the COUNTRY is an updated version of the chip used in the SOUL. It works with 64-bit resolution and in the SOUL, despite it's ultra-high resolution, I have not been able to detect any negative effects. You may read some reviews on the SOUL.

Did you use the analog outputs of the Maximizer? Be aware that the quality of the DA-conversion and the analog amplification section are very important. BBE produces budget-gear so I'm sure compromises were made in these sections.

Cheers

Jan
Thanks for the reply ,, i am sure being in the digital domain it sound way better than the Maximizer, its just i was interested to know the difference , i am really intersted in your product and i have never seen one like it for headphones ,,

Just to confirm ,, when you say the SOUL is better ,, you only mean the amplification side only ?

Apr 21, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #39 of 62
And another post I need to start with an apology—this time for going way off topic. But I couldn't find a really appropriate one.

@Jan Meier: Did you know you're rather prominently ‘featured‘ in Hi-Fi Choice‘s current edition‘s letters?

1619007970182.png

(Hope I don‘t get in trouble posting this…)

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #40 of 62
Any updates on the Country project? I have been really curious about it since first announced.

It looks like the DSP in the Country would have even more functionality than the DSP controls in the Soul?

Great to see than Jan is still making innovative projects for headphone hobbyists, which stand the test of the tech time, unlike many others in the sector that come and come fairly quick.

cheers and regards

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #42 of 62
Dear Friends,

over here in Europe we currently live in a continuous turmoil. First there was (and still is) COVID19 and now we also have a war close to our own borders. It makes you reconsider what is important in life and makes you wonder how little civilized humanity really is. So many wars and armed conflicts world-wide. So much unnecessary misery. It is very saddening.

Nonetheless, life goes on and I'm glad to be able to tell you that the first COUNTRY processors are expected to be ready in a few weeks. Recently I updated my website with the newest info. Don't hesitate to take a look.

It has been quite a while since I have been visiting any websites. Being a father of a 2-year old kept me very busy. But now there is a little bit time to answer some questions:

"Just to confirm ,, when you say the SOUL is better ,, you only mean the amplification side only ?"

Yes for sure, although there are a few differences in the digital processing in SOUL and COUNTRY.

The SOUL does all the processing at the native sampling rate of the incoming signal. With the COUNTRY all signals are resampled to 96 or 192 kHz (depending on the software version). Sonically the resampling does have a slight negative impact but at a level that it only can be heard with an extremely high resolving system like the SOUL is.

The COUNTRY offers a 7-band equalizer (SOUL effectively 5-band) and also has the options to add reverb (96 kHz resampling version) and bass-enhancement.

"@Jan Meier: Did you know you're rather prominently ‘featured‘ in Hi-Fi Choice‘s current edition‘s letters?"

Unfortunately the Hi-Fi Choice is very difficult to get over here in Germany. So I've never read the article. But thanks for the note, it flatters my ego! :)

Stay healthy!

Jan

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #43 of 62
Nice to hear from you Jan.
I currently have a Daccord-ff. Would the new Country be a worthy replacement DAC for the Daccord? I like the new extra features but can it compete soundwise?

Mar 18, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #45 of 62
So the finalized version of Country will be in black.
I do find the dark reddish chassis quite sexy tho, then again I suppose the red LED on the equalizer may not be so obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back