Corda Aria & which headphone?
Mar 5, 2006 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PaulBoy

100+ Head-Fier
I really like the Aria which I have had for a couple of weeks - the sound is great using a CDP or with the built in DAC & FB2K - I have been listening on my (only slightly older) Senn HD600's but I have finally decided I cant get on with the Senns (wont bore you with the full details - I just dont like the "feel" of them - my ears feel like they are "cooking" after an hour)
I would like to try some supraaural cans like SR80's (or more expensive models if the SQ is worth the extra expense?) MS1's or HD25-1's
I realise that some (or all?) supraaural cans have comfort issues but feel after trying 2 circumaural cans its worth trying some supras (?)
I would value your opinions on any of the above models especially in conjunction with the Aria
Are there any other supraaural models that Ishould be considering (?)
My budget (once I sell the HD600's) is £125 ($220)

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 11
I have used the Corda Aria with the Sennheiser HD-650, Beyerdynamic DT-880 and the Grado SR-225. I have now stuck with the Grados and the Aria as they seem to work very well together. I also tried the SR-60 at my office with the Aria and it was pretty decent but not in the same league as the Aria/SR-225 combo. I plan to drag the amp and Grados to my office next week for my office listening and keep the others at home with a new amp.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner
I have used the Corda Aria with the Sennheiser HD-650, Beyerdynamic DT-880 and the Grado SR-225. I have now stuck with the Grados and the Aria as they seem to work very well together. I also tried the SR-60 at my office with the Aria and it was pretty decent but not in the same league as the Aria/SR-225 combo. I plan to drag the amp and Grados to my office next week for my office listening and keep the others at home with a new amp.

vpivinylspinner - thanks! that sound promising! not sure if I can stretch to a pair of SR-225's though (will keep an eye on the FS Forum for a used pair) I presume they are still higher spec supraaural cans like the SR60/80's (?)
Paul
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 11
Hmmm...to each his own I suppose. I have the Aria with HD580, DT880, K501, MS1 and SR60. I just cannot stand the Aria with the Grados that I possessed. I cannot comment on higher end grados but definitely the Aria is a complete waste with the SR60 and MS1. The resolution wasn't there, the soundstage was flat and the worst offence was that its mid bass hump was just too much for me to take.

My favorite was the Aria with the DT880 just because I like a brighter sound. My younger brother who has very good ears, loves the Aria with the K501 but that combination was a little too warm for my ears. However, it was unanimous that none of us liked the SR60 nor the MS1 with the Aria at all.

However, that said, it doesn't mean you will not like the combination of Grado with Aria...it is just not to my taste that's all.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 11
I listened to the Aria with the SR225 at the past NJ meet. They sounded really, really good. Of course I am sure the source had a LOT to do with it, jjcha's Chord Blu/DAC64
icon10.gif

But even considering this, I will vouch that this combination SR225/Aria worked very well. And yes, some people do have issues with the confort of Grado cans. But you'll have to try for yourself and see if it is an issue, unfortunately. They do show up with regular frequency in the FS forum. Further, used prices in the US are a bargain compared to new prices in EU.

HTH.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 11
Oh, I need to add that my experience with the Aria is very limited. So under meet conditions may not be totally fair to got for the Grado cans because of placing too much weight on my opinion. Hopefully you will get more opinions in this thread.

I have not heard the Aria with Beyers...

[Edit, see sionghchan alredy provided an alternative view]
smily_headphones1.gif

HTH!

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Hmmm...to each his own I suppose. I have the Aria with HD580, DT880, K501, MS1 and SR60. I just cannot stand the Aria with the Grados that I possessed. I cannot comment on higher end grados but definitely the Aria is a complete waste with the SR60 and MS1. The resolution wasn't there, the soundstage was flat and the worst offence was that its mid bass hump was just too much for me to take.

My favorite was the Aria with the DT880 just because I like a brighter sound. My younger brother who has very good ears, loves the Aria with the K501 but that combination was a little too warm for my ears. However, it was unanimous that none of us liked the SR60 nor the MS1 with the Aria at all.

However, that said, it doesn't mean you will not like the combination of Grado with Aria...it is just not to my taste that's all.

sionghchan - thanks for your point of view - problem is the likes of the DT880 which has very positive reports from other Aria owners is another circumaural can - I have had a few positive replies about the SR225 & might try to pick one up in the FS Forum rather than get fleeced buying new ones here "across the pond" ... Paul
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulBoy
sionghchan - thanks for your point of view - problem is the likes of the DT880 which has very positive reports from other Aria owners is another circumaural can - I have had a few positive replies about the SR225 & might try to pick one up in the FS Forum rather than get fleeced buying new ones here "across the pond" ... Paul
wink.gif

Try to get the HF-1 instead. I have both and the Aria really shows the SR225's shortcomings v.s. HF1. The difference is significant.

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander
K701's.

$300-$400 is too steep for me at the moment & I dont think the K701's are supraaural (which I am after)

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Try to get the HF-1 instead. I have both and the Aria really shows the SR225's shortcomings v.s. HF1. The difference is significant

HF-1's do pop up in the FS Forum but it is impossible to work out what price they go for - would they be in my budget ($220)?

Paul
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 11
In that case, look out for the MS2i on the used forums. With the flats they make an excellent pairing with the Aria

Users who are viewing this thread

Back