cord wrapper thingamabob
Apr 17, 2003 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I have no idea what terms to search for.

Looking for a wrapper/container for coiling up long cords when going portable. Sennheiser is nice enough to include something cheap with a few of their models, none of which I currently own (though it was the best thing about the 202's).

So anyone have a good replacement? My MiniMaglite belt holder isn't cutting it.

Apr 17, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 10
There's a simple, fast and easy cord holder/wrap called *Quick Pinch* and I find they are excellent.

They cost 5 for $5, so $1 each. It'll be simpler for you to look at the website (they have a short jpeg movie download showing one in use) ; It's a variation on a velcro strip, but a more clever and useful implemention.

I ordered 5 to try them, liked 'um, and have just ordered some more.

Worth a look .... www.quickpinch.com

Martin

Apr 17, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by monk
There's a simple, fast and easy cord holder/wrap called *Quick Pinch* and I find they are excellent.

They cost 5 for $5, so $1 each. It'll be simpler for you to look at the website (they have a short jpeg movie download showing one in use) ; It's a variation on a velcro strip, but a more clever and useful implemention.

I ordered 5 to try them, liked 'um, and have just ordered some more.

Worth a look .... www.quickpinch.com

Martin

Thanks for the suggestion Martin. It's basically velcro with a label, or am I missing something? They definitely look like something for another problem I have- keeping the cords straight on my computer and stereo system (and I may order a set to try for that- thanks), but less a solution for a cord when walking around. Kinda looking for something with a pouch or wrap around with a belt clip (like Senns solution).

Apr 18, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 10
The Quick Pinch's are good for managing the extra cable on portable headsets as well as bundling cables together on the home system.

They are a vinyl/rubber strip lined with velcro. Half is the male velcro, half is the female velcro, with a short blank space between them (the space allows them to fold in half (i.e. closed) without bulk building up at the point of the bend.

With a regular strip of velcro, the strip is wrapped around the cable and the velcro sticks to it's own back. I find this never gets that snug and it's a kind of fiddly opperation.

With the Quick Pinch, the sticky velcro's face each other and so all empty space is taken up . And the backing material, while not *stiff*, is strong enough to hold it's shape and give you something to work with.

I use them on my cell phone headset cable, and Koss KSC-35 cable, Grado cable ...and especially nice on the long Sennheiser cable. I just bundle the slack and stick a quick pinch to hold them. Also, it's fast to open and close, in case you need to adjust the length.

Perhaps I'm still not getting what it is you need done, but if it's managing long headset cables as you walk around, I find they work very well . Bundle the slack, clip, and done.

Sorry if I'm not understanding ..., M.

Apr 18, 2003 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks again for the suggestion Martin. I guess I'm looking for something a little different. The Senns have a cheap, but nicely contained wrapper. The cord is wound around a disk, is virtually invisible and there's a belt clip on the back. The MiniMaglite (flashlight) pouch I'm using does sort of the same thing- the cord is compacted within (though a little too snug that's why I am not satisfied with it), has a top that folds over, and it attaches to my belt. Although your suggestion looks durable, for this purpose (if I understand it) seems to offer nothing different than using a twist tie or a piece of Velcro, and the still putting the bundle in my pocket. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Originally used a twist tie, but was hoping for something a little more solid and better looking. Seems like it's a common problem, so was hoping some third party developed something... kind of like a cell phone case/belt clip.

Thanks again,
Ric

Apr 19, 2003 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 10
I'm also looking for the same type of thing; lugging around a 10 ft. Clou Red around campus is no way to listen to music

Apr 19, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 10
It appears from this Headwize article, Radio Shack had something very similar to the Senn freebie. It doesn't appear in their current online catalog and the person I just talked to at a store, gave me one of those ah, what? stares, so little hope there. Anyone have a source for something similar? Also the "turtle" cord thing is a nice option, if it had a belt clip.

cord_mgrs.gif

Apr 26, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Well low and behold Radio Shack still carries the Cable Management Case listed in the HeadWize article. I still can't find it on their online catalog, but they were able to in the store. What's better is they're priced at 50 cents right now. So if any of you are looking for a solution to this problem, the item number is 43-2011. Cord shots are a little tight (I think they're marketed for telephone cords now), but that can be fixed easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back