Cord/Cable Noise IEMs
Aug 13, 2015 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

El Zilcho

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, new guy with some questions.  I don't suppose anyone needs my back story, but I'll answer questions if anyone is curious.

Suffice it to say, I'm trying to start listening to music more, and I'm trying to get setup with some things.  I got a new DAP last night and now I'm on the hunt for some headphones.  I will be getting some around ear phones for more serious listening at home, but my question is about IEMs.  I'd like to get some for walking/jogging.

Other than Apple earbuds, I don't have much experience with in ear 'phones.  And those aren't really what I'd call in-ear anyway, they mostly just hang between the tragus and antitragus of your ear (yeah, I looked up the names).  I've had problems with comfort and wear-ability in the past with in-ear options, so comfort and fit will be important.  I have a cheap set of in ear phones that came with an old phone.  I've never even taken them out of the bag, but decided today to dig them out and see if I could stand to wear them, and maybe get an idea of what I should be looking for as far as fit is concerned. 

Fit wasn't the biggest problem (though not perfect, I feel that one size smaller silicone earpiece and I'll be able to deal).  The problem was the noise transmitted through the cord.  When the music wasn't playing it was obnoxious to me.  Music mostly masked it, but it still bothered me whenever the music was quiet.  And knowing it is there, possibly interfering with my music is a bit annoying as well.  Sitting still they were fine, but as soon as I started moving (even just turning my head slightly), the noise was noticeable and slightly bothersome.  The Apple earbuds don't have this issue at all that I've noticed, but that may just be because they aren't really in-ear like I've mentioned.

Is this common with IEMs or is it mostly an issue with cheap junk like I have?  It may not be a total deal-breaker, but I'd like to know if it's something they all have before I buy something and think I should have bought something else if they do the same thing.  If it's something I'm going to use while walking/active I'd rather this issue be as minimal as possible.

Sorry for the long winded post.  Thanks for any responses.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #2 of 5
Just in case anyone was unclear on what noise I'm talking about (doubtful, but just in case), I am talking about rubbing/scraping noises transmitted through the cable to your ears from movement while wearing IEMs.  Actually, any headphones can suffer from this, but the Samsung earphones I tried were the worst for this I've ever tried.  Just wanted to know if this is common, or if most aren't this bad.

I did find that if I wrap the cord over my ears it helps significantly, though these aren't designed to be worn this way, and it doesn't work out very well.  Maybe the Shure IEMs would be good since they are designed to be worn with the cable over the ear.  

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 5
It is a common problem. There are small differences between different IEMs but basically all suffer from cable noise to some extent. The only real fix is wearing the cables over the ears - as you already found out. Some IEMs are designed to be used in his way. Many other IEMSs are possible to wear this way (possibly by switching the IEMs: use the right one in the left ear and vice versa). With some it is not practical.

Using a cable clip could also help a little.

IEMs can also amplify other noises (heartbeat, breathing, impact from the legs) when exercising so (sport) earbuds could be a better choice. In some situations IEMs might be more risky in some situations because they block outside sounds more effectively than earbuds.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 5
  It is a common problem. There are small differences between different IEMs but basically all suffer from cable noise to some extent. The only real fix is wearing the cables over the ears - as you already found out. Some IEMs are designed to be used in his way. Many other IEMSs are possible to wear this way (possibly by switching the IEMs: use the right one in the left ear and vice versa). With some it is not practical.

Using a cable clip could also help a little.

IEMs can also amplify other noises (heartbeat, breathing, impact from the legs) when exercising so (sport) earbuds could be a better choice. In some situations IEMs might be more risky in some situations because they block outside sounds more effectively than earbuds.

Thanks for the reply. 

It's funny you mention the risky situations due to blocking sounds.  Today I actually started to strongly consider the "open" earbuds I've seen (a couple in-ear headphones I've looked at lately claimed to have an open design, so as to not be isolating).  This was after a walk I took last night while using my new X5ii.  I wasn't even listening to music, just a podcast at rather low volume.   I was wearing those earphones I mentioned in the original post, and it was disconcerting to lose that situational awareness from being totally isolated from outside sound while walking outside.  I didn't go very far, but if I had I would have seriously considered taking one side out so I could actually hear my surroundings.  Maybe it wouldn't bother other people as much, but it surprised me how much it bothered me at times.  I found myself turning my head about a lot to keep my situational awareness.

On the original topic, I ran the cord over my ears, but also under my shirt, and there was very little cord noise.  It was there, but not too bad.  I could definitely live with it, so I think it won't be a big problem.  As you mention though, these earbuds don't lend themselves to being worn with the cords over the ears well at all.  They have to be pointing straight up and they don't fit well like that.  It may be less of an issue with a more open design earphone as well.  If they don't isolate as well, they likely also won't transmit the cord noise so directly to the ears.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Just thought I'd update this thread.  

Yesterday I picked up some Bose Soundtrue in-ear headphones.  Just the cheapest ones they make, no microphone or anything.  I've already gone for one walk with them and I am completely satisfied so far.  They were a bit more than I wanted to spend, but they were available locally (easy returned if the suckeyd), weren't fully in ear (less isolation, potentially more comfort), came with a nice travel case, and while not highly lauded for sound, they were generally said to be decent.

They don't sound amazing, but not bad, and obviously much better than the phone earbuds I have.  The highs aren't as harsh/hiss-y, and there are some mids.  When listening to them indoors the bass is actually a bit more than I prefer.  Not too bad, but it's a bit too much rumble in some songs for my taste.  It makes the highs seem a bit weak.  When outdoors walking, the bass doesn't seem as heavy because it's a bit more lost in the ambient sounds.

They don't seal completely in my ears, which I think is good.  They don't isolate nearly as much as the fully in-ear "plugs" that many IEMs basically are.  While this compromises the sound just a bit, it's a worthwhile trade off for me, as they have little to no noise transferred through the cord, and I maintain a bit of situational awareness.  

They also stay put really well, and are "forget you're wearing them" comfortable for me.  I've often had issues with anything "in-ear", and so I was initially surprised how wearable the Samsung in-ear buds were for me.  However, I did find discomfort, bordering on pain, after about an hour.  The Bose don't create any tension or exert any force on the ear canals.  At least, not for me with the medium silicone tips.  For me this is great, as it gives me the reduced isolation and increased comfort I was looking for.

That's my impression, as it stands after an hour or so of use last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back