copypod
Jan 27, 2007 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Noya

New Head-Fier
Hey! has anyone ever tried the program copypod???I'm trying to back up my ipod......should I buy it??
thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 8
I used it once after a computer crash took out my iTunes library. Worked as intended, and is pretty user-friendly.

Jan 27, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Why pay? Theres oodles of free software to copy/backup your iPod to your PC Podplayer Ephpod et all try ilounge forums under 3rd party software.

I personally have used ephpod and it worked perfect after a PC crash .....teaches you a valuable lesson Back up Back Up & back up !!!!

Jan 27, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 8
You don't even need a program. Just check enable disk use and use it as a hard drive. You can save your library to a folder on your computer.

Jan 28, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 8
The reason not to just copy the files as they are on the iPod is that they have randomly generated names and are randomly scattered through a series of folders on the iPod, and this is not particularly user friendly. If you want to back up the iPod and have some kind of order in the files then you need a 3rd party app.

One reason to use copypod might be that it also backs up ratings, play counts, playlists and other iTunes specific data not contained in the files themselves, which I don't think any of the freeware programs handle. If that isn't important then try Sharepod or Yamipod as being two that have worked well for me.

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 8
thanks for all the help
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually ended up paying $20 for copypod.....I just wanted to make sure that I can back it up safely and keeping everything orginized.....
copypod is very userfriendly and very quick....
some times its just better to pay and than you know that its gonna work....
icon10.gif

I was going throughe ipod hell!!!!
but I'm recovering......
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason not to just copy the files as they are on the iPod is that they have randomly generated names and are randomly scattered through a series of folders on the iPod, and this is not particularly user friendly. If you want to back up the iPod and have some kind of order in the files then you need a 3rd party app.

One reason to use copypod might be that it also backs up ratings, play counts, playlists and other iTunes specific data not contained in the files themselves, which I don't think any of the freeware programs handle. If that isn't important then try Sharepod or Yamipod as being two that have worked well for me.

If you were to pick one of these two, which one would you use? What are the pros and cons for each of these? I'm about to get an 80 gig ipod which I noticed that you also have. Which works best for this unit? And also have you used mediamonkey? Do I need any of these if I already have mediamonkey installed in order to go from pc to ipod/ipod to pc?

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 8
The downside of Sharepod is that it no longer supports uploading of files onto the ipod and is no longer being properly developed. However for taking files off the ipod I prefer it, as it is simpler, loads faster and just seems less buggy.

Yamipod has more features and will let you upload files onto the ipod. It could function as a simple iTunes replacement, but I find it quite often just stops working without telling you why it had a problem, so I use it less than Sharepod. If I was using just one of the programs however Yamipod would have to be the one, because it is still being developed and improved.

I do use Mediamonkey sometimes because itunes is ridiculously slow with a large collection of music, but as an ipod manager it pretty much beats everything else out there if you use all the ipod features. So Mediamonkey will handle music but not videos, contacts, photos, nike support (for the nano) etc, and if you use all of that then iTunes really has to be your choice.

Mediamonkey will allow you to take files off the ipod but it doesnt do the renaming of them or placing them into appropriate folders that Yamipod, Copypod and others do. All OK if you don't mind files called KASZ.mp3 sitting around in no particular order, but otherwise you would still need another app to relabel them (mp3tag or other mp3 taggers would do this but not create folders, or perversely itunes itself would do both).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back