Copying music from ipod to PC?
Feb 17, 2006 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

My cousin used iTunes to download a bunch of music onto his iPod 4g 20GB. He recently purchased a 4GB Nano and asked me to transfer his itunes music onto the new nano. I plugged the old ipod in and tried to browse for the songs, but I couldn't find them. I installed iTunes and added the ipod, so I can browse through it and see the songs, but I don't know how to copy them onto the hard drive. Can anyone help?

Feb 17, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 11
very_evil_smiley.gif
Sounds to me like some ugly rights management system, But I’m only guessing… all these new mp3 players and the like are plagued with complex software and crippled with all the checks and balances to prevent gung ho copying. Shudder. * whistles a happy tune and walks on by*
plainface.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 11
Turn on hidden folders (so that you can see them). Then turn on ipod disk mode. Then browse in the ipod to the hidden folders, use size to guide you towards the music folder (i cant remember the exact directory names right now). Then copy them to a separate folder, where they can be imported to itunes.
-g

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 11
SHAREPOD!!! It works flawlessly and it's FREE!!!!

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 11
I use Sharepod too - and it allows you to put music onto the iPod as well without iTunes. You run it off the iPod itself, and once you find how to get the list of songs (it seems to open up showing just the playlists) it really is easy to use.

The non 3rd party software way does work however -
1. find the 49 hidden music folders and copy them to your hard disk (ie. copy over iPod:\iPod_Control\Music)
2. then tell iTunes to organise your library (open iTunes, go to Edit/Preferences, choose the advanced tab, and then check "Let iTunes organise your library for you " and maybe "Copy files to Itunes music folder when adding to library" depending on where you want the files to end up)
3. and drag the files into iTunes, where it should rationally rename them for you and sort them into folders.

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 11
You can use YamiPod. It's a single .exe file which can be placed directly on iPod. So when you hook up your iPod to ANY computer, you can copy music to or from iPod. I exchange music with my flriends this very way.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 11
Yamipod is great. It's the only non-iTunes program I use these days. I use it probably enough to justifiy the €40 donation I made. Now if I can find a way for the donation message to go away, that would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back