Copying CDs on MAC
May 21, 2005 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Fickle-Friend

500+ Head-Fier
Im about to copy my CDs to HD on my mac mini. So far its copied files to AIFF format. Are these good for storing CD quality music on? Is there a programme like EAC on the PC where i can do an exact CD copy. Thanks for your help.

May 21, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't know about ripping software, but the AIFF file format is lossless, so it's a good way to store your music. Of course, with iTunes, you can always convert those to Apple Lossless, which will take up far less hard drive space.

May 21, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 5
How many CDs are we talking about, Fickle-Friend? With the mini, HD-space comes at a premium... AIFF is WAV with tags, so you could use iTunes and have it import AIFF & store track information along with it. Due to the space issue I would rather go for Apple Lossless though (it's bit perfect). That is unless "my CDs" <100 or you being willing to stack external FW-drives.

I am not aware of any EAC-like software for Mac.

www.versiontracker.com is always your friend for all kinds of Mac software.

May 21, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
How many CDs are we talking about, Fickle-Friend? With the mini, HD-space comes at a premium... AIFF is WAV with tags, so you could use iTunes and have it import AIFF & store track information along with it. Due to the space issue I would rather go for Apple Lossless though (it's bit perfect). That is unless "my CDs" <100 or you being willing to stack external FW-drives.

I am not aware of any EAC-like software for Mac.

www.versiontracker.com is always your friend for all kinds of Mac software.

Hello Oliver I have like 500 cds to copy. I've noticed that with AIFF its making all the cd files bigger than the size available on a CD. I have 250 gig external HD where all this is going so space isnt a problem.

I'm considering Apple Lossless over .WAV files. Ideally I want to copy the cd as it is so that I can easily rip out CDs at will to play in the car. How do i go about doing this? The mac format is all new to me. Thanks

May 21, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 5
That's no problem with iTunes. Did you use iTunes before? Be sure to have a look at the options first (command+,) regarding speed, format & spacing.

In order to burn a CD from content you have already imported into iTunes library you have to make a playlist of what you want on it beforehand. You may either:

- Press the little "+" button on the bottom left of iTunes to open up a new playlist and then drag in whatever you like from the library.

or

- use the overview (command+b), select whatever album you want and then just drag it to the left into the column with the library & playlists. That will automatically create a new playlist with the name of the artist & album title.

Now, while the playlist you want to burn is highlighted, you just click the little "burn" icon on the top right. iTunes will ask you for a blank CD-R. After inserting it you click the now glowing button again and it will start to spin & write to the CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back