Copy protection + MD
Dec 10, 2001 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
why is MD blocked as well?

Due to the digital nature of extracting from CD to Digital MD, now if you copy from CD to analog MD, there shouldn't be a problem.

George

Dec 10, 2001 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 15
well, no. But

1) Why are they blocking MD in the first place(is it just a side effect of cd copy blocking???)

2) Won't analog copys be worse in quality??

Dec 10, 2001 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
well, no. But

1) Why are they blocking MD in the first place(is it just a side effect of cd copy blocking???)

2) Won't analog copys be worse in quality??

1) prolly inavoidable. you're just using th digital out of the source. it doesn't knwo you're using an MDP to record.

2) yes. might not be too bad, but sending the singnal through DACs twice wont improve things for sure.

pain in the ass. hope they keep away from the smaller labels.

I wonder what Sonys going to do. they're a big record company and they get quite some income from MP3 and MD. copyprotecting CDs will make the digital recording sector less atractive.

Dec 10, 2001 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 15
hopefully, there will be a way around the protection. Then I just use the toslink on my fortissimo II
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2001 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 15
Hm, I'm thinking a good redbook player with Toslink -> decent soundcard w/ S/PDIF then making a CUE file by hand then splitting.

This would stay digital through the whole process.

Is this going to stop pirating, hell no! People will jsut post analog or, if your lucky, the digital copies. It may even *encourage* piracy to allow easier access to MP3s and MDs for thsoe that got screwed from buying the CD in the first place.

Now, I hear that these new CDs will be labeled and stores will take them back. If that's the case I see a lot of people buying the CDs just to return them in order to raise the label's cost for such an inane tactic.

I know that my CD purchases are practically nil since they started doing thier test marketing.

Dec 10, 2001 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 15
I record all my MD's analog and it sounds fine, what kind of equipment are you people using?
confused.gif

George

Dec 10, 2001 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
I record all my MD's analog and it sounds fine, what kind of equipment are you people using?
confused.gif

George

err, ehm, $250 JVC micro 'all-in-one' and came-with-it RCA-mini cable
tongue.gif
eh... anyways, toslink sounds better and you don't have to seperate the songs. with a good source, I bet analog recordings sound great, but with optical recording all you need is a decent transport, which can be a lot cheaper.

Dec 11, 2001 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver

anyways, toslink sounds better and you don't have to seperate the songs. with a good source, I bet analog recordings sound great, but with optical recording all you need is a decent transport, which can be a lot cheaper.

Thats probably the only thing i hate doing, splitting tracks. I would have to replace my CDP and Receiver though, and i just dont feel like doing that right now, since they work fine

tongue.gif

George

Jan 2, 2002 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
confused.gif

With analog recording, you have an unnecessary d/a and a/d conversion while digital recording copys the CD-data uncompromised to the ATRAC encoder.

So while analog recordings might sound OK, they're likely to sound worse than digital ones, plus you have to watch the recording level.

Jan 2, 2002 at 10:15 AM Post #14 of 15
The one surefire way around it is to use Pro equipment, some of which is actually affordable. With the Pro MD recorders, you can switch off the tag that says you are recording a digital copy, and can then make digital copies of the MD too. Of course if the signal is corrupted at the digital output of the CD player this wouldn't work either. Has anyone actually tried to make a digital MD copy of a "protected" CD? If not, most of what people are saying is conjecture, unless there is confirmation that the "protection" disables or corrupts the digital outputs of CD players. There are a bunch of different protection schemes being considered as well, some more intrusive than others.

-Keith

Jan 2, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

So while analog recordings might sound OK, they're likely to sound worse than digital ones, plus you have to watch the recording level

You have to watch the recording levels with an optical recording as well. I was using an optical cable to transfer to MD and had to lower the level because I was going into the red.

With a good interconnect, I find the difference between analog and digital to be fairly negligible. Going analog, the biggest drawback is that it sometimes misses track marks so you have to add them in after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back