copy protected cds
Feb 10, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #16 of 45
Another option is find a friend with a Mac (or likely a Linux distro). Because of disc mounting differences, and also that most cripple/"protection" schemes are only interested in Windows, it's usually easy to get around with these other platforms.

Feb 10, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
What trick do I use to get EAC to rip a protected CD?
After reading this thread I stuck in my one and only protected CD. Nothing happens. EAC says there is no audio CD in the drive. I tried both drives. I tried the shift key also. My computer does not recognise this CD in any way.

Not recognizing it at all? I'd check your ASPI layer. If you're running Win2K (or XP), Nero's ASPI works quite well. Just drop it into your EAC folder, or anything else that requires ASPI.

EDIT: Found this after posting; it's the same thing, except for Win95/98/ME.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Feb 10, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
Not recognizing it at all? I'd check your ASPI layer. If you're running Win2K (or XP), Nero's ASPI works quite well. Just drop it into your EAC folder, or anything else that requires ASPI.

EDIT: Found this after posting; it's the same thing, except for Win95/98/ME.

I don't know about aspi, but I have Nero 5 installed on this machine. Wouldn't I already have that dll?
I know this CD is defeatable, because I used my portable to make a copy of it, and when I played the copy in musicmatch, the info was already at CDDB, so somebody ripped it and filed the track list.

Feb 10, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Props for getting it to work.

Now that the thread has gone a bit off-topic, I'll ask... why do you have two 280 Pros? Are you The One who has come to reign victorious over Mike Scarpitti's constant ramblings?

BTW, 3rd one's a real whopper if you want to be occupied for hours. I was lucky enough to get in on that one early on, and was heatedly debating it for days...

Oh, and finally, if you haven't read much of Mike's "Team Burn In Is Fake!" posts, then you're really missing out on a great part of Head-Fi. Anyway, he consistently has asked for someone to purchase two identical headphones (280 Pro's being the most usually recommended one, due to their vast IMPROVEMENT IN SOUND, MIKE... But I digress. He wants someone to get two pairs of cans, burn one in (anywhere from 48-1000 hours, depending who you talk to; for the 280 Pro's. 200 is usually agreed to be where you stop noticing any improvements), and leave the other bone stock. Then, do a blind A\B test. I suggested having a non-audiophile do the test, for even better results. Just have them tell you which sounds better.

I did that - the improvement is unreal. It goes from a muddy headphone with no bass and annoying treble to a precise headphone that reproduces sound well across the whole range - albeit a bit too much in the high treble.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
What trick do I use to get EAC to rip a protected CD?
After reading this thread I stuck in my one and only protected CD. Nothing happens. EAC says there is no audio CD in the drive. I tried both drives. I tried the shift key also. My computer does not recognise this CD in any way.

Try this: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=59531

Post again if it doesn't work, i'll think some more.

Feb 10, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

I don't know about aspi, but I have Nero 5 installed on this machine. Wouldn't I already have that dll?

AFAIK, Nero normally uses the Windows ASPI layer, at least on 2K/XP. I could be mistaken, however. I think Nero 5 has a system information tool; if so, load that up, and look for the ASPI layer tab. It should tell you which ones are installed/working.

Feb 10, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

AFAIK, Nero normally uses the Windows ASPI layer, at least on 2K/XP. I could be mistaken, however. I think Nero 5 has a system information tool; if so, load that up, and look for the ASPI layer tab. It should tell you which ones are installed/working.

All I can find is plugins. That one doesn't show up there.
I'm using XP BTW.

Okay that CD just about made my computer crash. I had it loaded trying out EAC again after dropping that dll in EAC's folder, with no results, so I went into my computer to see what it showed was on the disc. The thing locked up my computer then I lost all the stuff off of my desk top.
confused.gif

I did finally get it to show the CD, it says file system not recognised.

Feb 10, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #23 of 45
EAC is just an awesome program... LAME too.

I wish I had found them alot sooner than I did!

Feb 11, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #26 of 45
Sounds like I'll never buy a CD again.

I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Support artists by attending their live performances and buying their merchandise.

FIGHT big labels by never buying ANY of their material again.

Cheers,
Geek

Feb 11, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #27 of 45
Mr. PD, sorry for not responding; I wrote those replies at the library while in the city, and have been away from a computer for awhile. *withdrawl, withdrawl...*

Anyway, open up EAC, and hit F9 (EAC Options). Make sure Installed External ASPI Interface is selected, and not the native one.

Oh, and the tool I was talking about in Nero is called Nero InfoTool, at least in mine.

Feb 11, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #28 of 45
commando - the thread (on-topic part) is hard to follow ... in case you haven't solved the problem yet:

Here I've summed up information about extracting audio from 'damaged' CDs.

Some additional information:
- Nero ASPI dll is wnaspi32.dll, copy to EAC folder and change EAC options -> interface setting
- Latest EAC version misses some TOC manipulation features that could be necessary. Last version with these features can still be downloaded at afterdawn download section.
- The marker- / post-it-trick is always worth a try (lower extraction speed using e.g. Nero DriveSpeed to stay on the safe side)
- Latest Easy CD-DA Extractor (shareware, 30 days free trial) I tested yesterday performed surprisingly well on copyprotected disks - worth a try too IMO.

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Screw that bull$h!t!!! Good thing I'm not a big Norah Jones fan. Although she sounded very nice on DVD-A.

Another win for EAC.

-Ed

That was Diana Krall. I only had the SACD of Norah Jones.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back