Copy-Protected CD
Dec 18, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 21
Use Clone cd along with Clony XXL. Clony finds the copy protection and fixes the settings in clone cd properly for the type of protection the cd has. From there you can copy the cd. Rip the copy. Extra step, but it works.

Dec 18, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #17 of 21
philodox, if I had just decided to pirate the CD I could hardly talk about it here, strictly against policy! But seriously I value my CD collection, I'm a collector at heart and it makes me happy to see them all in their racks. And I know if some amazing new compression or storage scheme comes up I'll be able to re-encode them all again.

Dec 18, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
But seriously I value my CD collection, I'm a collector at heart and it makes me happy to see them all in their racks. And I know if some amazing new compression or storage scheme comes up I'll be able to re-encode them all again.

Yes, PRECISELY! People wonder why I don't like burned CD's. For one, it's due to the fact that they likely used Roxio or other such crap, (and sometimes the CD's are ones made from 128K MP3's they have... [shudder]) but more importantly, I LOVE CD's. I enjoy seeing them all neatly arranged, the album art, the lyrics, the CD art... And also, I want to support the artists, if it's someone I like. Granted, of the $20 for a CD, the artists sees maybe 50 cents of it, but hey, it's the thought that counts.

I have no moral issues about copying CD's, or downloading music. If a friend wants one of my CD's, I have no problems burning them a copy. I view P2P systems as the ultimate way to try before you buy. I dunno if this violates the piracy rule here; if it does, edit\delete it, and my apologies.

Oh, and finally... I got a WD 120GB hard drive for ripping my CD's to FLAC. 8MB cache; very fast, very nice
biggrin.gif
Then again, my entire music collection (including .97GB of MP3's) is only 11.8GB. I only have about 30 CD's or so.

(-S:tephonovich:)

Dec 19, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
But seriously I value my CD collection, I'm a collector at heart and it makes me happy to see them all in their racks. And I know if some amazing new compression or storage scheme comes up I'll be able to re-encode them all again.

I can't fault you here... I enjoy all of the CD's I own... but I am against companies inhibiting me from enjoying my CD fully... piracy aside... I would just as soon send it back and not listen to it period out of principle...

Dec 19, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

I would just as soon send it back and not listen to it period out of principle...

I have mixed feelings. I personally think if a band is good enough, they shouldn't be needing copy protection anyway. If bands would actually do original material, have original album art, and add some interest to the market, and if the evil 4-letter organization would lower CD prices to around $10, people would buy CD's again. However, since most modern music is crap, and there is copy protection, I enjoy bypassing it just to spit in their faces. Games are the same way. I paid for it, dangit, I'm not going to pay for it again when my CD gets broken/scratched/lost.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Dec 20, 2003 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 21
Try living in a country like I do! If you are unemployed (like many people are), your montly welfare income is like $42! An average CD costs like $18! But you MIGHT be able (if you live in an apartment building) to get an internet connection for $15 a month so you can download some mp3's at night. If you're a music fan and you want to listen to many albums, P2P is your only solution! There is absolutely no other choice for you! You can decide wether to choose one original CD per month or dozens of mp3 albums from the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back