copy of a copy
Jun 21, 2002 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

RobertR

100+ Head-Fier
I've had good luck using memorex data cd's until i got a newer batch with a date of 2002. The newer ones do not track as well in my portable. They are identical to the older ones except for lettering and the missing "broken glass logo". Luckily I found some of the older ones at K-mart and sure enough they track ok.
I even copied the one with tracking problems and the burn copy on the older media tracks ok.
Now to my question.
Is there any degradation of quality in making a copy from a copy. So far I can't hear any. Can this be done ad-infinitum?

Jun 21, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally posted by RobertR
I've had good luck using memorex data cd's until i got a newer batch with a date of 2002. The newer ones do not track as well in my portable. They are identical to the older ones except for lettering and the missing "broken glass logo". Luckily I found some of the older ones at K-mart and sure enough they track ok.
I even copied the one with tracking problems and the burn copy on the older media tracks ok.
Now to my question.
Is there any degradation of quality in making a copy from a copy. So far I can't hear any. Can this be done ad-infinitum?

Not unless something in your chain is broken.

Assuming your CD reader was able to read it OK and consistantly, and your write wrote what it was told the bits should be identical.

The sore spot there is uaually the CD reader so be sure to use EAC's copy and test feature to make sure the CRCs match-up. They may not if the source disc is badly scratched and you're just going to have to live with an educated guess of what those bits should be based on the readers ability to interpret them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back