Coolest. Portable. Ever.
Dec 15, 2002 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
WOAH i was watching Techtv earlier and saw this http://64.239.68.71/Merchant2/mercha..._Code=VISUAL01 The Sharp AV1 . A portable MP3/MP4 player with a 3" screen. this looks amazing, it accepts analog sources and digitizes them so I could record TV or any video source along with plays all computer movies/MP3s I think im goin to get one within the next few months. Has anyone used one before? Also im more interested in this for video playback. I just think it would be great downloading some TV shows and watching them during a free period in school.

Dec 16, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 15
Its been out for some time already (at least 7 months).

tons of it everywhere on display in Japan, but no one is buying it. The quality is not that great. Even with a 3" screen, you can see alot of flaws.

just my 0.02

Dec 16, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 15
frown.gif
even if there are flaws I WANT ONE i just think it would be an extremely cool/useful thing to have. and what new sony PDVDP?

Dec 16, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 15
"It uses SecureDigital Card(SD Card) as a external memory storage and SD Cards are available in 64, 128, 256, 512mb."

rolleyes.gif

plus the battery life is a peice of shiznit

Dec 16, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 15
I'm sure I had mentioned it a couple time in the head-fi forum, I'm surprised nobody read that.
rolleyes.gif
Anyways I have one. I bought it in Japan early this year, literally the first day on the market, because I checked everyday in stores until the day I found one. The picture quality isn't bad at all if you use the highest quality mode, but prepared to useit with a large MB SD card. I'm more disappointed in the sound quality. The most disappointing IMO is the battery life. One full charge lasts only about an hour. But it was a cool toy, I don't regret having bought it.

Dec 16, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by e-r0ck
"It uses SecureDigital Card(SD Card) as a external memory storage and SD Cards are available in 64, 128, 256, 512mb."

rolleyes.gif

plus the battery life is a peice of shiznit

Well, actually it has 64MB internal memory plus the SD slot, but 64MB is too small for its purpose, so you pretty much need at least a 128MB SD card.

The battery life is indeed bad.

Dec 16, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 15
Ya im a little bummed about the battery life but i think i will get this with either a 256MB or 512MB SD card so it should be hot. Actually now that i think of it I would only be able to use it for about an hour during school per day so it wouldnt be that bad. and I will have a SlimX to use for CDs which i prefer to MP3s anyways. Can you connect this to a comp so that i could DL tv shows and movie files and put it on that?

Dec 17, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
Can you connect this to a comp so that i could DL tv shows and movie files and put it on that?

There's only analog in...

It may be possible to write data to the SD card from the computer and be readable by the player. I'm not sure, never bother to find out...

Dec 17, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 15
damn thats what i was afraid of. most Tv shows you download are already Mpeg (MP4) which is what it plays im sure theres someway to get it on the SD card

Dec 17, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
damn thats what i was afraid of. most Tv shows you download are already Mpeg (MP4) which is what it plays im sure theres someway to get it on the SD card

Well, it's not exactly the same thing, but it has a digital connection. And it's widely available in US.

Dec 17, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #15 of 15
Neither of them are even close to as cool. they dont have the ultra sexy design along with being much bigger, and a Camera? Im going to have to get you to translate the menu system for me but other than that the Sharp is so insanely cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back