Cool things you just found out about
Aug 15, 2006 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Heh, as some of you might know, I have blacklights in my room (2x48 inch and one that is like 18 inches or something.) I love to play around with things that are very reactive. My mom buys a lot of pop and there was some Canada Dry tonic water laying around. Now I don't drink alcohol obviously as I'm a kid, but I have tried tonic water before. I began mixing some sweet lipton iced tea with some tonic water tonight and couldn't get a good blend going. I was bored and decided to do a quick wiki on tonic water:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_water
Then I begin reading because of the quinine in it, it reacts well to UV light. Therefore, I poured the rest of my can into an empty water bottle laying around and put it infront of my blacklight. Wow! What an glow! I then poured some into an bottle of bawls and once again, amazing, not as bright, but the bawl's bottle is nice and tinted, so you get a cool kind of effect.

So what are some things cool that you just found out about?

Aug 15, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 25
Take a pic and share.
cool.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 25
I just found that JaGWiRE has TOOOOO much free time on his hands....

a wait, nvm... i already knew that
cool.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 25
Yeah, and I just found out Jagwire starts all his threads with:

Quote:

Heh, as some of you might know

But you knew that.

Aug 15, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 25
Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's Father. I was like Nooooooooooooooooooo
way dude!

Aug 15, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75
Take a pic and share.
cool.gif

I took a bunch of pictures, will upload later. I'm trying to find a large vase or something to pour a lot of this tonic water into and put beside the black lite for an even cooler effect.

Aug 15, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I took a bunch of pictures, will upload later. I'm trying to find a large vase or something to pour a lot of this tonic water into and put beside the black lite for an even cooler effect.

Stop wasting all your moms tonic water!
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Stop wasting all your moms tonic water!
tongue.gif

right . . . . what will she do with all the gin?
rolleyes.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
right . . . . what will she do with all the gin?
rolleyes.gif

My mom doesn't drink and my dad doesn't have any gin
biggrin.gif

I picked up a few more cases of tonic. I am planning / thinking of doing some very neat designs becasue I am just so fascianted by how well the glow really is. I am thinking of getting a water container (18.5L), filling it to the top and seeing how it glows. I was thinking a vase would be cool too, but I'm scared of the tonic water spilling. I'll upload some photos later.

Aug 16, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 25
A neat thing to do with blacklights:

Get a bunch of cool looking clear glass bottles, like different alcohol or drink bottles. Also get a pack of different colored highlighters. Fill each of the bottles with water. Crack open the highlighters and put one of the felt things containing the ink in each bottle. Let them sit for a while then remove the felt things. Cap the bottles and put them in front of your blacklight.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122

Get a bunch of cool looking clear glass bottles, like different alcohol or drink bottles. Also get a pack of different colored highlighters. Fill each of the bottles with water. Crack open the highlighters and put one of the felt things containing the ink in each bottle. Let them sit for a while then remove the felt things. Cap the bottles and put them in front of your blacklight.

My old roommate had about ten of those around our house. One time during a party we made some kid drink a bit from the blue one.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122

Will try later! I filled some more bottles up with tonic water. It seems like I can mix water and tonic water and still get the same amount of brightness..

I'll post the photos later, need to pick them out.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 25
Talk about difficult pictures to capture with my sisters camera..
DSC01147Large.jpg

DSC01142Large.jpg

DSC01137Large.jpg

DSC01111Large.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back