Cool SNES games!
Jan 6, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Hm...I remember years and years ago a friend of mine had an interesting device that plugged into the SNES cartridge slot. It was nearly the size of the SNES itself, lol. It had a floppy drive. He had a few hundred SNES games. I think it was a game or more per floppy.

I have one of these and I still use it. The particular model I have is the Professor SF II. In addition to the floppy drive, mine has a parallel port that attaches directly to a computer for transfering roms to the unit.

To answer the original question: Contra III (The Alien Wars). It's sidescrolling shoot 'em up perfection.

Super Metroid and Zelda III: A Link to the past were also great.

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #47 of 61
I should chime in to second the recommendation for ICO, as far as I am concerned its the only TRULY masterpeice title sony has ever published *shudders at the thought of Siren* If you have a PS2 you really need to get this game. I don't think it was a lauch title, but it came pretty early in the consoles life so the graphics arent super wonderful, but the story and gameplay more then make up for it. And this is coming from a huge xbox fan who generally has very little nice to say about Sony.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Yes, sometimes I forget I'm not on a gaming message board.

SOTC stands for Shadow of the Colossus and should properly be SotC to follow the game acronym convention.

ICO is just ICO. That's what the game is called, it's the name of the playable character. It says ICO across the front of the (terrible, btw) dvd box. It's commonly available, here at least, at walmart for $15.

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #48 of 61
I read through this whole thread hoping to find some other Wario's Woods players. My wife, her brother, and I all think it's the best player vs. player game ever. We might be the best three players in the world, though, since I don't think anyone else is playing it...

G

Jan 7, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #49 of 61
FF2 - best Final Fantasy ever. Have you tried 7th Saga by Enix, that's good too, but don't play it for story line, play it for a challenge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
Final fantasy II (no 4 in japan)
Wonderful story, game and music. I've tried a few other RPGs and they haven't come up to it. Well except Chrono Trigger, that was a good one too.

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #51 of 61
Playing from floppy disks, huh? I wonder how that would be like? I mean, aren't floppy disks supposed to have extremely slow read speeds?! Oh, nevermind: some of those use disks that are different from the average floppy, or something. Hhhmmm, that type of floppy disk equipment seems kind of old though... By the way, I have played the PSP emulation...and g** d***, it really is not very good; with slow as h**/sloppy speeds, both sound and graphic-wise--then again, I've never used the faster memory sticks, but still, the emulator is not practical enough in my opinion. Portable emulation just does not work as flawless as I'd like; it needs a better match between hardware/software (maybe someday, there will be something that's more true to the game; something that does not use much emulation software, but runs off REAL portable SNES specs).... If anyone is interested in the best possible emulation, I don't think it can get much better than through a flash cart...

Edit: Actually, the floppy things look just as good as a flash cart (not really, but you know...), but are really hard to find/etc. (flash cart is cheaper/etc.; although it's nice to have lots of disks that could be put to use...but d*** it's really hard to find those floppy things...considering that there's NONE on the market, as in freshly produced; correct me if I'm wrong).

Jan 8, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Aha! PSP, I wanted one of those partially for that reason! I heard they do SNES quite well but the GP2X handheld that came out is supposedly better for emulation. But personally if the PSP was perfected in all of its potential, I'd so totally have one right now.

580smile.gif
Abe

The PSP can emulate basically any NES game w/o issue, but the emulation of SNES is a bit more touchie. It will play most games, but some games lag a lot (Super Mario Kart). Chrono Trigger will play just fine.

Must look up GP2X now...
smily_headphones1.gif

-Alex

Jan 8, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexhifi
The PSP can emulate basically any NES game w/o issue, but the emulation of SNES is a bit more touchie. It will play most games, but some games lag a lot (Super Mario Kart). Chrono Trigger will play just fine.

Must look up GP2X now...
smily_headphones1.gif

-Alex

i was so temped to get a GP2x. i think it's better than the PSP cause open source > all.
anyone ever played Kendo Rage for SNES? it was very anime, sailor moon like. Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle was my favorite fighting game for SNES. also had Dragon Ball Z 3 imported, but wasn't as good as Ranma.

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #54 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
i was so temped to get a GP2x. i think it's better than the PSP cause open source > all.

I just read up on it some and was somewhat disappointed. It's GREAT that it's open source, but I wish they had made a more powerful model. The SNES emulation isn't supposed to be that great. I'd rather they throw a ton of processing power at it so that so much optimization isn't required. The price is cheap as hell too!

I am still looking for that ultimate hand held...

-Alex

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #55 of 61
If anyone wants some game music that wasn't released on external media, I recommend to check out these links if you don't know about this kind of stuff yet:

http://www.snesmusic.org/v2/players.php

http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/spc/

Explore the 2nd link more, to find some music from other systems. Regardless of quality or whatever, there's just something that video game music has, that regular albums usually don't (not overall, but just a simple uniqueness, really...besides that, it's extremely geeky, but oh well
tongue.gif
).

Edit-Note: Oh, what the h** am I talking about?! lol Video game music is not even really THAT good (makes you think too much about the game; it's repetitive...just kind of dumb when you can just play the game. I like album music much better--I need some vocals/etc. more often). Although, to tell the truth, it's actually pretty fun to listen to this type of stuff (or anything similar, or theme or TV show-like) if you get really bored with regular albums (it would be especially nice to listen to music from newer systems than the SNES...for a more, say, complex sound, lol). Edit 2: Oh, who am I kidding? I definately enjoyed the SNES sounds more (nostalgia/etc). Anyways, it's much harder to get music from other next-generation systems...and it probably isn't that worth it, to download...but whatever. This is why the music in video games should be mainly listened to while actually playing the game--for full-effect and graphic match-ups; and of course because it can get hard to get the music outside of the game!

Feb 16, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #57 of 61
SNES:
Shadowrun
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore had some of the best ambient sound of any SNES game.
Breath of Fire
Illusion of Gaia
Chrono Trigger

NES:
Final Fantasy I
Battle of Olympus

Feb 17, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #59 of 61
i'm sure i'll leave a few out, but

secret of mana
chrono trigger
Final fantasy 1,2,3
final fantasy legend 1,2 (3 was so-so, definitly not par for the series)
final fantasy adventure
legend of zelda 1-3
warcraft 1-3
world of warcraft
medal of honor allied assualt
battlefield 1942
rainbow six 3 ravenshield

and when i first saw this thread i went hunting for my old games, only to find out that my brother lost chrono trigger and secret of mana
mad.gif
mad.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #60 of 61
Not much love for Mario Kart on here, but I gotta say, one of my faves.
Slade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back