cooking suggestions?
Jul 14, 2004 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mjg

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I'm living on my own now. Got a place near college. I wish i got a camera to take pics (of my lazy boy/headphone system heehe). Anyways, now i cook for myself. Tonight I made some of this chicken-sausage on my foreman grill, with some emeril's putanesca tomato sauce. Was pretty decent hehe.

I already got a cubbard full of ramen noodles. THey are pretty nasty. I'm not into that head-fi ramen noodle thing. It's not even food.

ANyways, can you guys recommend me some recipes, or easy food to make ?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 14, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 22
This is a japanese recipe. It is very simple to make, quite filling, and tasty.

Cut in small pieces and fry half an onion and some ham. Cook some rice (as much as you can eat), and add it to the onions and ham in the frying pan. Stir fry with a little ketchup and salt. Remove the rice mixture, and cook an omelet with two eggs. When the omelet is ready, put the rice mixture inside the omelet, and fold the omelet over. Add some ketchup on top of the omelet. Eat.

Omu rice comes in thousand of variations, you can have fun experimenting.

Jul 14, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 22
Slice up a sweet (or spicy) italian Sausage, half a squash, and half a zucchini. Cook the sausage in a non-stick pan and set it aside.

Chop half an onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Put it in a tall non-stick pan w/a half a cup of olive oil over medium high heat.

After the onions have gotten soft (they will look clear) add a cup of italian rice and 2 cups water. Put in a cube of bullion (I like vegetable/herb with sea salt, Rasputin in particular). Keep on medium high heat. Stir to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.

As this cooks, the water becomes thicker, add more water as this happens. After 10 to 15 minutes, taste the rice, if it's still hard, add more water. Keep doing this till the rice is almost soft/done. Stir in the squash, zuchini, and italian sausage. Stir for 2 more minutes, then grate a third of a block of Paremsan cheese in to the mix, stirring it in. Serve immediately.

Congrats, you just made risoto rustica. If you skip adding the cheese and use non-fatty sausage, it's pretty darn healthy too.

Oh yeah, don't forget to wash the rice before cooking it (a dishwasher safe metal sieve is very helpful for that).

This still tastes very good the next day, so hello already-made lunch!

Jul 14, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 22
these recipes seem delicious, but kind of hard for me. I'd like to just try one out for the hell of it. Rissuto, i had that a few times, i had no idea how much work went into it!

thank you

Jul 14, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 22
Since you have a Foreman here are a few things:

Frozen Turkey cut like a fillet and wrapped in bacon. Pop it on a cold grill, plug it in, and when the indicator pops out eat it.

Frozen Hamburgers - Throw on grill, eat when done

Chopped Vegetables - Season lightly, a spray of olive oil, grill until done

Bacon - Cold grill, lay it out, cook till done. Goes with everything.

Bread, cheese, meat, dressing of choice, peppers. Grill the whole thing

Grilled Cheese sandwich Butter outside of bread, put on cheese grill on hot grill until done.

Go to whole foods and get seasoned turkey burgers, many different types, delicious

Jul 14, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 22
Here's a fast and easy stir fry recipe for salmon or tuna filets.

You chop onions, peppers and tomatoes in order to fill a 10" skillet. Sprinkle the mix with olive oil and cook. After a little while, you add a 6 oz salmon fillet cut in bite size pieces and continue cooking. Once you cook the salmon, you add Tartar Sauce (or mayo) and you stir it in. To finish the dish, add some freshly ground black pepper (Malabar pepper if possible) with a peppermill and salt to taste. Caramba, that's it! You're finished! Enjoy!

On the tomatoes...
Just use the outside of the tomatoes, not the inner part with the seeds.

Jul 14, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 22
I cook a lot of mexican dishes. They are cheap, easy, and tasty.

Taco salad: spiced ground chicken/beef, salsa, cheese, black olives, canned green chilis, roasted red peppers, tomatos, lettuce, crumbled up tortialla chips (I use Baked Doritos), black beans, scallions, and Thousand Island dressing.

Fajitas: Onions and Peppers (You can buy frozen in a bag), chicken or steak, refried/pinto/black beans, other fixins. Add rice and you have a burrito.

I also tend to make a ludicrous amount of fresh salsa monthly and keep some in the freezer. Tomatos, cilantro, white onion, jalapeno, lime juice, salt.

etc.

Jul 14, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 22
Chilaquiles: Tear one or two large flour and/or (I like one of each) corn tortillias into a Pammed or buttered microwave safe bowl. Add one third to one half regular jar of Pace Chipotle salsa.
Grate cheese (cheddar/jack mix is good) into the mix to taste. Add carnitas, and/or bacon (already cooked), broken into small shreds. Crack one or two eggs into the bowl. Add one or two tablespoons of water. Stir the mixture
to combine well.

Microwave on high 3-5 minutes, turn and stir, repeat , until eggs are cooked.

Jul 15, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 22
here's a few recipes out of 2600 (Paraphrased)
hacker pasta
boil water
add spaghetti/linguini for 8-10 minutes (until chewy but not crunchy)
strain
add salt (and parmesan if you get tired of plain taste)

Hacker Stew
Same as above only add a can of cambell's soup into pot with pasta after it's strained

Relative Multitasking Meal
Boil Water
add eggs(whole in shell)
wait 10 minutes
add spaghetti/linguini for 8-10 minutes (until chewy but not crunchy)
strain pasta and run eggs under cold water for a few seconds
peel eggs before pasta gets cold

the (semi)under cooked pasta has more protein in it which gives you the longevity to feel energized during long coding (and headphoning) sessions
Congratulations you now have the dignity of having a hot meal and the pride of preparing it yourself
hope you like it

Jul 15, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 22
sometimes it's a real pain to have to get frying pans, oven, etc. ready in a hurry. So when I was in college, and especially in the dorms, those sandwich makers, which are alot like the George Foreman grills and waffle irons are a great way to have a hot sandwich ready in a jiffy.

Use Pam or other cooking sprays, and it's even easier. Put a slice of meat, and some cheese.

Or just go for the classic grilled cheese sandwich.

-Ed

Jul 16, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
sometimes it's a real pain to have to get frying pans, oven, etc. ready in a hurry. So when I was in college, and especially in the dorms, those sandwich makers, which are alot like the George Foreman grills and waffle irons are a great way to have a hot sandwich ready in a jiffy.

Use Pam or other cooking sprays, and it's even easier. Put a slice of meat, and some cheese.

Or just go for the classic grilled cheese sandwich.

-Ed

DUDE, I love that thing. Makes for some awesome pizza. Just get some bread, pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. Put them together in the sandwich thing and you have a pizza pocket.

Jul 16, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 22
Here's an easy pork chop dish.
Sear a couple of pork chops in a very hot frying pan for about a minute or two per side. Then put the pork chops in a caserole dish and smother it with some cream of mushroom soup (the canned type). Cover it with foil and bake it at about 350 for about 30-45 min (depending on the thickness of the pork chop). If you want, you can line the bottom of the caserole dish with slices of potato so that you have some kind of starch. Enjoy
Note: if you don't want to bother with the extra dishes, it would be ok for you to just putting the raw pork chops (and potato) with the mushroom soup and bypass the searing part.

Jul 16, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #13 of 22
Hmmm cheap and easy....

Brown:
1LB ground beef
Add in:
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can (use the soup can) water
1 packet onion soup mix
1 small onion (chopped)
simmer stiring every few mins cook for about 30 mins server over egg noodles or rice (If you're serving over egg noodles you can also throw in sour cream to taste and make it a hamburger stroganoff).

Jul 16, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sultan165
Here's an easy pork chop dish.
Sear a couple of pork chops in a very hot frying pan for about a minute or two per side. Then put the pork chops in a caserole dish and smother it with some cream of mushroom soup (the canned type). Cover it with foil and bake it at about 350 for about 30-45 min (depending on the thickness of the pork chop). If you want, you can line the bottom of the caserole dish with slices of potato so that you have some kind of starch. Enjoy
Note: if you don't want to bother with the extra dishes, it would be ok for you to just putting the raw pork chops (and potato) with the mushroom soup and bypass the searing part.

LOL the wonders of cream of mushroom soup...
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #15 of 22
On the assumption that anybody who gets a Foreman grill also has a refirgerator, a hotplate and a microwave (much more useful, IMHO), here's 4 days worth of good eating. Get yourself a rotisserie chicken (Costco has the best IMHO) and a pack of either red beans and rice or black beans and rice (your gorcery's ethnic foods aisle). Both take about 30 minutes to fix, so start them at the same time.

Use the stepped power feature on your microwave to reheat the cold chicken in its plastic clam pack; 5 minutes on high, 10 minutes 2 steps down from high, and 15 minutes two steps down from that. This done properly will slow cook and steam the chicken, giving you fall-off-the-bone tenderness and drain off more fat (you should get in the habit of skinning your chicken before you eat it anyway). The beans and rice recipe is on the bag (you will need some olive oil or margarine, but you should have both around). After letting the mix boil for a couple minutes, let the pot simmer under low heat with frequent stirring for the duration. With some steamed green vegetables, you get a kick ass dinner the first night. Women will be most impressed and may even want to take off their clothing.
biggrin.gif

Package the remainder in three 2 or 3 cup rubbermaid plastic storage containers (WalMart or K-Mart; you'll need these storage containers when you figure out it's good to cook and cleanup one night and then eat for four) by dividing the remaining beans into equal portions into the containers and then top with equal portions of the remaining shredded chicken. Nuke these up in your micro over the next week for fast, delicious dinner (don't eat the same stuff night after night or you will get tired of it). BTW, the secret to successful reheating by nuke is to give the portion no more than a minute on high and then a couple of minutes on medium to let the heat go through the food without just burning the outside.

The rotisserie chicken (or its remains after the first dinner) also make a good start for soup. Cook the chicken with vegetables (onions, carrots, celery, green and red sweet peppers all work well) and a couple of vegetable bullion cubes and some garlic and fresh ground pepper and let that pot simmer over the lowest heat for an hour. You will have enough salt from the bullion cubes and chicken, so don't add any more. Boil up some rice, wid rice mix, or noodles according to the recipe on their packages to add at the end to the chicken and vegetables (that way your grains don't turn into mush). I do a lot of "camp cooking" of soups and stews which get better with age and feed you a bunch of times off of one cooking-and-cleanup. They also let you put all your fresh vegetables into edible forms (soups and stews) at one time with one prep session instead of having them turn into "science fair projects" in the drawers of your fridge. BTW, all of these dishes also freeze well to space their consumption out over more than a week. Bon appetit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back