convincing dad about high-quality earphones
Jun 19, 2006 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CommanderZero

100+ Head-Fier
how would i be able to convince my dad about being a little easier about letting me buy earphones? he says "im never going to be satisfied with one". i mean, yes i know i have a problem with that, with everything.
rolleyes.gif
but he asks me, why do you buy these? i cant see spending even $20 for earphones. what im accually trying to buy are super.fi 5's, at around $100. ive been through sony clip ons, ex-71's (3 of them, 1 got stolen, 1 broke, and my current pair, giving to mom) and shure e2c's (which are broken also, which is why im getting the super.fis. i dont think thats much, compared to what you guys go through. he also tells me that technology will advance, something better than the super.fi's will come out, and ill want that. i dont see $900 coming my way, even with a job anytime soon, for a pair of ue-10's...which IMO are going a little too far for headphones. so, what do you guys think?

Jun 19, 2006 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 15
When my dad refuses to let me buy something the subject usually comes up that it's my allowance, if i want to save money for something expensive it is up to me to do so. It's not like he's paying for something.

Then again my dad disagrees with it but usually when i buy it and i show it to him he doesn't mind.

Just buy them and show them to your dad and compare them with something else and show him that it's money well spent
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 15
As an older-than-average Head-Fi member, I would say that you need to find a way to show that losing earphones and having them break isn't a pattern.

A lot of people assume that all earphones are the same. I think maybe your father is being "parental" in adopting that approach -- particularly in view of the lost and broken earphones. But it's not just a question of the quality of earphones you want to get and their price. Find a way to show/convince him (through actions, not words) that you value your stuff and will take care of it, and that a $100 pair of earphones that lasts you two years (or whatever) would not be unreasonable. Then, take care of your stuff, whatever you end up getting, and enjoy the music.

PS: "he says 'im never going to be satisfied with one.'" Sounds to me like he has a firm grasp of the Head-Fi way.
etysmile.gif
And if you still have to compromise, "settle" for the Creative EP 630's -- less than $30 and better than the Sony's you had before.

Jun 20, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 15
haha...but the thing is, i was accually gonna buy it myself, with my own money...i would let him try them out, and he understands the difference, but he doesnt understand the price.also i cant let him try them out because he has bad hearing, and couldnt tell the diffrence if i showed him anyway.

Jun 20, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by CommanderZero
haha...but the thing is, i was accually gonna buy it myself, with my own money...i would let him try them out, and he understands the difference, but he doesnt understand the price.also i cant let him try them out because he has bad hearing, and couldnt tell the diffrence if i showed him anyway.

How did you break a pair of e2c's? Those are built like tanks.

Jun 20, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 15
UGH, typical parent. It'd be cool to bring him to a demo of various headphones and be sure super.fi 5 is there. I absolutely love my pair of .fi 5's to death. It's like a grado but in IEM form.

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

idk how my e2c's broke...i take really good care of them, but one day the left phone just went out...and theres all this green mold-color stuff inside.

Hahaha, that's really gross. Sorry to here about that. I thought you managed to physically break the cable/plastic.

Good luck on getting the Super.fi.

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

ive been through sony clip ons, ex-71's (3 of them, 1 got stolen, 1 broke, and my current pair, giving to mom)

Give your mom a pair of crappy earbud, then when she understand what good phones sound like, ask her to help get your dad to go easier on you.

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 15
Are your shure's still under warrenty? If so send them in and you will get a new pair. Then you could sell them on ebay to get a bit of money and it will cost less to upgrade.

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #12 of 15
yea, point. thats what im trying to do, but im not sure how to get them to give me a new sealed one. i havent even had them for a year yet.

and the guy that said something about moisture....
yea, i live in hawaii...very, VERY humid right now, i just came back from las vegas, it was 106 there, but its only 86 here, but feels like 106 in vegas
confused.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaaspeer
When my dad refuses to let me buy something the subject usually comes up that it's my allowance, if i want to save money for something expensive it is up to me to do so. It's not like he's paying for something.

I don't agree with your last statement. Your dad is paying something! It's his money you're spending, unless you made it yourself, but then we are talking about allowances, aren't we? While I do agree that you should have control over what you spend your allowance on, you need to acknowledge where the money came from and how to better spend your allowance. The point of an allowance is to teach you how to manage your money and how to spend wisely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaaspeer
Then again my dad disagrees with it but usually when i buy it and i show it to him he doesn't mind.

Just buy them and show them to your dad and compare them with something else and show him that it's money well spent

This does make sense. The only reason your dad might have doubts about your purchases is because he doesn't think that it is worth putting money into this type of hobby. He might think that there are better uses for this money, but if you're able to show him that the money's well spent, then there's nothing to worry about.

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 15
For the money thing I would try to use an example he can relate too. Maybe he spends more than normal amounts of money on shoes, wine, whiskey, cars, sport equipment, power tools, shirts, ties, food, TVs, video games, books... etc. Anything where you can buy cheaper, but he chooses not to because he prefers the higher end stuff.

Most people have at least one thing they tend to splurge the extra amount on in order to get the quality they want. You're doing the same thing, it's just with headphones.

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

how would i be able to convince my dad about being a little easier about letting me buy earphones? he says "im never going to be satisfied with one". i mean, yes i know i have a problem with that, with everything.
rolleyes.gif
but he asks me, why do you buy these? i cant see spending even $20 for earphones. what im accually trying to buy are super.fi 5's, at around $100. ive been through sony clip ons, ex-71's (3 of them, 1 got stolen, 1 broke, and my current pair, giving to mom) and shure e2c's (which are broken also, which is why im getting the super.fis. i dont think thats much, compared to what you guys go through. he also tells me that technology will advance, something better than the super.fi's will come out, and ill want that. i dont see $900 coming my way, even with a job anytime soon, for a pair of ue-10's...which IMO are going a little too far for headphones. so, what do you guys think?

If I was your dad I would use the unbeatable: "The actual drivers don't even cost 5$!"
For what it's worth, I prefer the ex-71s for the $

Users who are viewing this thread

Back