Convinced a friend to purchase Sennheiser IE6
Jun 24, 2011 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

taisho

100+ Head-Fier
So my friend came to me asking for a good pair of headphones and I dropped some n3rd head-fier knowledge on her.  It first started out as her wanting a pair of noise-cancelling headphones, but she wanted better sound isolation so I suggested her some Sennheiser IEMs.  Her budget was around 100 bucks and the next day she told me she bought the Sennheiser IE6's off Amazon, so I'm eagerly waiting on what her thoughts of her new IEMs. Her previous pair was a pair of Skull Candy's, so I'm assuming that she'll love these new IEMs. End of a short story.

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 10
To be honest, I was biased and I just did a quick search for Sennheiser IEMs 'cause I really like their audio equipment.  She wanted something that would last her awhile, cancel out ambient noise, 'good' sound quality and something she could take to the gym from time to time.

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Yeah, what made her buy the IE6s specifically? There are a ton of under 100 dollar headphones that might have been better depending on the sound preferences.

Sennheiser is pretty well respected from its name alone even for the un..educated (in these matters), and hence it probably appeals much more to the average consumer than the boutique brands we are used to, perhaps.

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Yeah, what made her buy the IE6s specifically? There are a ton of under 100 dollar headphones that might have been better depending on the sound preferences.

Quote:
Sennheiser is pretty well respected from its name alone even for the un..educated (in these matters), and hence it probably appeals much more to the average consumer than the boutique brands we are used to, perhaps.

Yeah, I didnt really wanna take the time to research a ton of IEMs that would've taken me hours to filter through.  I just went with a reputable company as mentioned by Nightslayer.

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Yeah, I didnt really wanna take the time to research a ton of IEMs that would've taken me hours to filter through.  I just went with a reputable company as mentioned by Nightslayer.

From experience she will probably be very satisfied with her purchase due to the placebo most people get from knowing their headphones are made by a respected, reputable company which would give them a positive response regardless of the quality of the earphones, however I think there were other better choices which could have been recommended. The Shure215s/RE0/Phonaks to name a few, though the Phonaks stretch the budget a bit.

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Well, seeing how you have some Etys, I'm just wondering why that wasn't in the recommendations. The ER6i in particular, is right at $100. The mc5 would be another option from them in that range.

The only reason I questioned Senn was you don't have Senns (in your sig anyway) but you do have Etys

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Well, seeing how you have some Etys, I'm just wondering why that wasn't in the recommendations. The ER6i in particular, is right at $100. The mc5 would be another option from them in that range.

The only reason I questioned Senn was you don't have Senns (in your sig anyway) but you do have Etys

I should probably update my sig as I have owned a pair of ER6i's but that was back in '06/'07 and I honestly don't remember much about the sound signature of them because I was in my early stages on my head-fi journey and I think I bought 'em mainly because they looked dope and I liked the idea of their foam pads to block out noise. But I did mention the ER6i's to my friend, but I told her that my pair gave out about 1 1/2 -- 2 years and the foam pads are annoying to put in your ear. I do have a pair of Sennheiser CX500's, but those are mehhh, IMO.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 10
I should probably update my sig as I have owned a pair of ER6i's but that was back in '06/'07 and I honestly don't remember much about the sound signature of them because I was in my early stages on my head-fi journey and I think I bought 'em mainly because they looked dope and I liked the idea of their foam pads to block out noise. But I did mention the ER6i's to my friend, but I told her that my pair gave out about 1 1/2 -- 2 years and the foam pads are annoying to put in your ear. I do have a pair of Sennheiser CX500's, but those are mehhh, IMO.

Oh, ok. That makes more sense. I guess you should be recommending something you have heard recently.

Despite being more work, foam pads are the only ones I've managed to get a good seal with regardless of what I try, so unless it's just that I haven't found the right tip, I find foam far easier to work with in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back