Convince me to buy/not buy an iPod Mini/Zen Micro/other mini HDD DAP
Jul 6, 2005 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

coffeeaddict

Head-Fier
I've read around HeadFi, ipodlounge, nomadness, etc... and still can't decide. So if you do so please, convince me to buy/not buy -insert a mini HDD DAP here- of your choice, and make mine and I'm sure many other people's decision easier.

Some basic questions as well:

Just how bass deficient is the iPod Mini? Would using bassy headphones be effective / even necessary? I suppose it depends on your personal tastes, but I'd still like opinions.

I'm also curious as to if 'recently purchased' Zen Micros still sometimes possess the headphone jack issue, or if it has been resolved..

But yeah, testimonies/angry criticisms/etc are welcome.

Jul 6, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm convinced i don't need a DAP...but i'm still getting a Iaudio X5..
k1000smile.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 6
A couple things (though you likely have already read them)...

Micro will have a more dynamic sound, a better EQ, a more customizable interface, 7mW output per channel and FM playback and recording.

Mini will have more neutral sound, will require MP3/AACgaining files to really use the EQ at all, has iTunes integration, better third party support, lossless option and 30mW per channel (plus a line out).

There there are other secondary things (WMA v. AAC, form factor differences, etc.) that only you can decide on.

The sonic qualities or either player can be overcome with the right headphones. Have far less experience with the Micro, but the Minis bass roll off with low impedance phones can be gotten around with KSC35/75/PP, etc. for instance.

Then your other option is to go with a large memory flash player. 1GB iAudio U2, etc. I sometimes wonder if you go below 20GB, if it doesn't make more sense to go with a very good sounding, much smaller than Mini/Micro flash based player at 1GBish. Also just heard another Shuffle rumor of LCD based new models in the next couple of months, but who knows? It's all personal preferences though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back