convince me not to get Bose headphones - please...
Jul 2, 2004 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

nleahcim

100+ Head-Fier
Hi so I've been looking for years for a pair of headphones that is comfortable and blocks out alot of noise. First I got some Sennheiser HD200s. I think I paid $75 for them or so. They blocked NO noise. Next I got some ER-6s for $125. They were horribly uncomfortable though they sounded great and offered great isolation. Then I got some Sony D-66 Eggos for $100. They were pretty good - they sounded great and were very portable - but their noise isolation was only mediocre. Than they broke. So now I have put in around $200 and still haven't found a pair that meets my needs. But I keep on hearing about Bose headphones - how they offer awesome isolation and how they're the most comfortable headphones ever. I know everyone here says they sound horrible - but I'm no audiophile so I probably won't notice the difference anyways. So I'm going to be demoing a pair the next time I get a chance - and I'm thinking there's a good chance I'll buy them. Am I a complete moron for this?

Jul 2, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 42
Everyone has their different ideas of what sounds good. It's not that the boses sound that bad, it's that there is other stuff at that price range that sounds better, at least to most people.

If Isolation is very important to you, and you find the ety's uncomfortable, then who knows, the Bose might be for you.

I don't see why anyone should have to convince you not to buy something. If you're happy with them, who cares what other people say?

Jul 2, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 42
Hi,

From all accounts Bose cans are very poor when it comes to music reproduction. They may be comforable, but so is a cushion wrapped around your head!!

Go for decent closed cans. I personaly like Ultrasones HFI-650's or 700's if you want a slightly exagerated bass.

I'm sure that lots of other people will also make suggestions for good closed cans.

If you want real isolation then canal 'phones are the only way to go. I've not tried ER6's so I cannot comment on their comfort. I use ety's and they are comfortable now after a couple of weeks initialy to get used to them.

Regards

John

Jul 2, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 42
Don't get them, they suck.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Jul 2, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 42
Don't buy Bose.

Think about Sennheiser HD25-1 too. They're portable, isolate really well and sound nice. There's a review of them in the "Featured full review" section above. I like the Ultrasones too, but they're quite big and thus their portability is limited (same thing with the Audio Technica).
Another note: 99% of the people here are NOT audiophiles. Joe Average may say he doesn't hear the difference, but when he compares two headphones like the TriPort and the Ultrasone, he will definitely hear a difference. Better sound = more fun
wink.gif

-Taurui

Jul 2, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 42
Sennheiser HD25 offer excellent isolation, are small, portable and are very comfortable after about one week (need to reduce the clamping force exerted by the headband).
Punchy bass and overall a very "fun" sound (IMO!).

Jul 2, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 42
Why don't you check out the Triports out for yourself? Local Bose and Apple stores should carry them, maybe Bestbuy. They sound ok, but like people say, its overrated. My A500 sound a lot better and provide great isolation.

Jul 2, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 42
They're probably overpriced. They have good name recognition and charge a premium for the brand.

I once flew business class to Brazil and they gave me a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones. I happened to have a pair of Sennheiser PX200 with me at the time. In comparison, the Bose were bloated and muddy, but only in comparison. It wasn't like I put them on and I said "wow, there are horrible". It was more like, "cool, I get to check out some Bose noise cancelling headphones for the next 10 hours. Let's do a comparison with my PX200." They were definitely comfortable and they did a great job of limiting the engine noise from the plane but the PX200 sounded better overall. By the way, the headphones had no badging so I don't know what model they were. Probably the Quiet Comforts as the Quiet Comfort II were just coming out then and I doubt they were brand new headphones, but you never know.

Don't let anyone else tell you what you like. Doesn't Bose offer a 30 day trial or something. Try them out and if you don't like them, return them.

You might want to check out the Sennheiser PXC 250. I have not tried them but from what I've read they are similar to the PX 200 and offer active noise cancellation.

Jul 2, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nleahcim
convince me not to get Bose headphones - please...

I think that, in response to this, I will say "convince yourself!"

You see, the thing with most of the good headphones used by and advocatated by the members on this forum is that they are not widely available, and you really have to buy them or go to a head-fi meet if you want to hear them. You will have a hard time finding a store that carries most of this stuff, if not any of it at all.

However, with Bose headphones, you should have no trouble whatsoever finding a store that carries them. This means that you can just pop on over to the store and give them a listen. If you like them, buy them. If they suck, then don't.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot
If you like them, buy them.

And if you buy them and change your mind later on, just sell them on ebay. They should retain their value pretty decently, I should think, since many people outside of this forum and the audiophile world seem to think "Bose" means "good".

Jul 2, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 42
One thing that ive noticed and that many others have stated is that they dont seem to be made to cost 150 dollars. They seem very fragile and most of the ones out at stores for demos are broken a lot of the time. If i shell out that kind of money i expect them to last for some time. But in the end its up to you to get what you like the most. Were just here to offer opinions.

Jul 2, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 42
The Bose headphones are very comfortable headphones but offer poor isolation and horrible sound quality.

Jul 3, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #14 of 42
Personally, most of the folks who appear to be serious about music and sound have dismissed the Bose headphones as being not as good as other products that might be had for less money, at least the ones lurking and posting around here. I have not spent long enough with them to make any gross assessments, such as Mr. Edwood, but I agree with his opinion (and his hamsters appear to really rock!).

My opinion is to do what you have done. Post a thread and wait for opinions. I use Etymotic ER-6's on the plane, train, or gym. They isolate really well and have the detail that I like. Bass is taunt and borders on the "lean" side. They also pack really small which is a nice thing while traveling.

Jul 3, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nleahcim
Hi so I've been looking for years for a pair of headphones that is comfortable and blocks out alot of noise. First I got some Sennheiser HD200s. I think I paid $75 for them or so. They blocked NO noise. Next I got some ER-6s for $125. They were horribly uncomfortable though they sounded great and offered great isolation. Then I got some Sony D-66 Eggos for $100. They were pretty good - they sounded great and were very portable - but their noise isolation was only mediocre. Than they broke. So now I have put in around $200 and still haven't found a pair that meets my needs. But I keep on hearing about Bose headphones - how they offer awesome isolation and how they're the most comfortable headphones ever. I know everyone here says they sound horrible - but I'm no audiophile so I probably won't notice the difference anyways. So I'm going to be demoing a pair the next time I get a chance - and I'm thinking there's a good chance I'll buy them. Am I a complete moron for this?

The Bose headphones, especially the TriPorts, are extremely flimsy. They'll break very easily on you. And the TriPorts don't isolate anywhere near as well as they should have - barely more so than the Sony Eggos. And that's not to mention their sound:
Quote:

What? $150 for these crummy cans that sound just as bad as a $30 pair of cans?

(Okay, the QuietComfort2's are mediocre in sound quality. But the rest of the Bose line sucks.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back