Convince me not to get a 2nd gen iPod shuffle
Feb 17, 2008 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

vYu223

500+ Head-Fier
I've begun to live a healthier lifestyle through running by joining the track team at school. I need a player that weighs almost next to nothing, and that can attach to my arm or waist. I wear shorts without pockets while I run. Right now I think my best candidate would be the 2nd generation iPod shuffle (btw, there is no 3rd generation; there are only new colors).

So should I go ahead and get it? Or are there any better alternatives for me?

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 26
yes, the alternative is a 2GB sansa clip. Plus you get radio, voice recording, 15 hour-battery and better sound quality.

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1st gen shuffle does not hiss

2n gen shuffles hisses more than madagascar roaches

ha-ha
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe, you could still find a first gen somewhere online. Or go with what DJ suggested.

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 26
I see that you already have an iPod. Do you use iTunes to manage your music? If so, a Shuffle makes a lot of sense. The form factor is incredibly great for working out. Yes, there is hiss, but I don't find it noticeable while the music is playing (especially work out music! I rarely lift weights to Vivaldi).

I don't know anything about the Sansa, but the Shuffle is good for people who 1) use iTunes for their music and can take advantage of the excellent dynamic playlists, and 2) who want to forget that they are carrying a DAP around.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 26
sansa express is about the same size as the 1g shuffle. I don't know how well it makes use of idtags so I cannot recommend it as a drag and drop alternative from iTunes - how I use my non-iPods. It may weigh slightly more but that I'd because it has a few extras

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 26
I've used a 2G shuffle with KSC75 for work and find the combo to work very well considering the bright quality of the KSC75 which gets dumbed down. I clip the shuffle to the back of my hat and have shortened the Koss cable to 12". I don't notice the shuffle hiss with these but with IEMs it can be bothersome if you obsess with it.

Imo the shuffle is a poor value now that other DAPs such as the Clip offer better performance at a much better price.

For $80 the shuffle should be 2GB I think...and cost even less.

I use Media Monkey to sync my shuffle, refilling it daily.

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 26
the shuffle was awesome for tis rpice when it was first released... no price reductions in the past 1-2-3 years = no go =D

Feb 17, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've begun to live a healthier lifestyle through running by joining the track team at school. I need a player that weighs almost next to nothing, and that can attach to my arm or waist. I wear shorts without pockets while I run. Right now I think my best candidate would be the 2nd generation iPod shuffle (btw, there is no 3rd generation; there are only new colors).

So should I go ahead and get it? Or are there any better alternatives for me?

You could always buy one of these, (link provided). Best thing it's not an ipod and you can use it as a flash drive...no need for software...I bought one last year.
BTW, just a warning they come with the worst sounding earbuds known to man...you really won't realize how bad I mean until you listen to them.

LINK: $20.92 VESTA SHU-II MP3 player 1GB (3.5mm) Black KIT

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #13 of 26
No drag and drop for a small capacity flash player is a no go.. I have a 2gig ipod nano and I find it awkward to put new songs on it and delete the old ones. Loading iTunes is very slow and atleast for me its confusing at times.

Its funny how people bomb down on md players because you had to use sonicstage. Well sonicstage did its job extremely well when you just had to put new songs on your md and delete old songs. I had no troubles whatsoever in my last 5years of md use. Though I'd rather not use any software, but if I compare it to iTunes its on equal terms.

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Imo the shuffle is a poor value now that other DAPs such as the Clip offer better performance at a much better price.

For $80 the shuffle should be 2GB I think...and cost even less.

X2

The key is to buy a $49 refurb from Apple. I have never heard a complaint about Apple's refurb products.

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #15 of 26
Don't buy one!
Cause you will regret it later on...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back