Converting WMA to MP3
Nov 12, 2003 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pomegranate

100+ Head-Fier
I'm converting 64kbps into MP3 Lame. Any suggestions what MP3 encoding rate I should use? I think MS say that the sound quality of 64kbps is equivalent to 128kbps MP3, so is this an appropriate rate to use for conversion? If no-one tells me otherwise I'm gonna go with 160kbps just to be "safe"

P

Nov 12, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Hey again pomegranate. As you may know lossy to lossy compression (or transcoding) is never recommended as the compression artifacts are built on other artifacts, but if you're in a situation where you can't play WMA, make the equivalent MP3's as high a bitrate as you can. While there's some debate on it 320 kbps would be best (though practically unnecessary), the very basic rule seems to be doubling it will result with very few issues. So a 64 kbps MP3 transcoded to another MP3 would be 128. If 64 WMA is equivalent to 128 MP3, it would be 256 to extremely minimize the artifacts (in theory anyway, cross format can be trickier to calculate). In reality since your files are very compressed and likely not the greatest sounding, probably "--alt-preset fast standard" should do it though. That will give you the close to 160 bitrate, but more if necessary. Use "--alt-preset fast extreme" if you want to play it really safe, though again 64 kbps is extreme compression so this is probably overdoing it. Lots of exceptions to the above (including those the extra space makes it worse), but use the doubling as a general rule.

Nov 12, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks again for your advice. You should set up an 0800 helpline and I'd pay you!
I've seen those command-line-looking phrases before, but I don't get what they're refering to, "--alt-preset fast standard"? I'm doing my first-off ripping using iTunes, my WMA-MP3 conversion using fast-and-nasty (it would seem) dBpowerAMP Music Converter. Can I implement whatever you're talking about using these? Isn't "--alt-preset fast standard" something to do with having a developers version of QT?

P

Nov 12, 2003 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks. If you're on a PC (guessing from WMA), LAME through iTunes isn't an option yet. On the Mac there's this. Lots of PC progs use LAME, and dBpowerAMP is reportedly one of the best (EAC usually takes top spot), but I can't guide you to presets with it as I'm on OSX and can't run it. If there's no advance tag, look for something labeled as standard or extreme. If not just use 160 VBR (ABR). Most LAME progs don't play WMA's though. dBpowerAMP is one of the few.

But keep in mind, it's not related to a developers version of QT, or QT at all. You could use the iTunes modified FhG MP3 encoder if iTunes (or QT) played WMA, which like most MP3 progs again doesn't. But be aware iTunes doesn't natively use LAME, so the LAME presets won't work. Those presets are exclusive to that encoder (good part of the reason it's so respected).

If you can find something to convert the WMA's into WAV's, you can encode with whatever format (MP3, AAC, Ogg) or encoder you want. dBpowerAMP is probably doing this, but maybe in one step (again I can't test).

When I moved to a Mac a year ago I used All To MP3 Converter to move a couple Christmas albums in WMA to MP3. Can't vouch for the quality of the encoder (didn't know about other options at the time), but this is an possibility which is pretty quick. There was a trial at the time which allowed you to do five tracks at a time I think. If you only have a few album check it out.

Nov 12, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 8
Are you sure about LAME on Windows iTunes? I've encoded (transcoded?) the first batch of WMAs into LAME using the program I mentioned, and the files are playing with no problem in iTunes.

EDIT
Forgot to ask, is using LAME on an iPod a problem?

Nov 12, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Sorry if I was confusing. Playback of LAME (or any MP3 files, with slight variance with MP3Pro) will be fine in iTunes and the iPod. You just can't encode with LAME with QT or iTunes.

If you don't want to post further questions, feel free to PM me.

Nov 12, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 8
usualy when i convert a lossy to lossy, for example ogg to mp3. i would convert ogg to a wav file first, then the wav to mp3. i dont think lame mp3 with ipod would be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back