Converting WAVE/FLAC to ATRAC Lossless?
Jan 22, 2010 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tk3

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I recently got a Sony Walkman A847, does anyone know if it's possible to convert WAVE/FLAC to ATRAC Advanced Lossless (AAL)?

I installed SonicStage V 5.2, but there doesn't seem to be any built-in converter for this purpose.
I could only find the option to convert files to the lossy ATRAC when transferring from PC to the A847.
I did manage to rip a CD to AAL files, but I don't want to rerip everything as it would be easier to convert the files on PC somehow.

Any help would be appreciated.

I must say that the program is giving me iTunes flashbacks; aka clumsy and roundabout. I wish Sony would just release some standalone converter, since they seem so dead set on perpetuating the existence of this format.
I guess it's easiest if I just convert everything to 320 kb/s mp3 and use drag and drop to transfer files.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 7
I didn't think the trouble was worth it, and didn't want to deal with the SonicStage program which is basically iTunes in Japanese. So I just used dbpoweramp to batch convert all my lossless files to LAME V0.

The sound quality on this little player is amazing by the way.
Although the bundled earphones are no good, I'm using the ESW10 straight out of the A847, and it's one of the most satisfying musical experiences I've ever had (not necessarily highest fidelity).

This thing is a winner for sure, long battery life, tiny size and sounds great.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 7
There is a virtual disc-drive that let you mount flac-files as a virtual disc. It is called Winmount. Then you can rip the flac files to AAL as if it was a CD. It is probably a lot faster than ripping directly from the original CD. But you can't batch convert a lot of FLACs.

I think that SonicStage is the only free program that is able to convert to Atrac Lossless. Sound Forge, Vegas and Acid also supports Atrac. But it is expensive programs to buy just for converting your files.

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 7
SS is the only program that deals with ATRAC Advanced Lossless. I'm pretty sure there is a way to convert WAV files to AAL in SS, but I forget how. I just rip to ATRAC 352k for my Sony players. For FLAC --> ATRAC, you'd have to convert to WAV first.

I'm still on the fence about the 847 I got in Japan. Sonically it's close to the X, but not 100% the same. I need to get rid of one of them.

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 7
I rip all my music to flac, the tracks I want in Sonicstage CP 4.3 are converted (and downsampled and converted to 16 bit if nessesary) to wav.
While converting with DBpoweramp the files are renamed:

Artist-album-tracknumber-title  and put in a separate folder. The tracks are kept together in explorer by searching on file-name.

The converted wav can be imported in SS.

When the imported tracks are selected (album sort: Last imported they end up in a unnamed album) I use "Get cd info" for tagging max 99 tracks in one time. All the tracks end up in there owne album were they can processed with year and albumart.

Right-mouse click opens in SS the menu to convert to Atrac or Lossles copression.

Can I get SS 5 on an Europeen Windows Xp computer? Is it worth it to upgrade to SS 5? At the moment I use NW-hd1 and I am thinking of buying a Japanees NW-F807 for the atrac and flac replay.

Grtz mdp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back