Converting the SR125's
Jul 5, 2010 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Abovetheair

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone I have purchased some Grado125 headphones for my next project. The cables do not run through the top headband correct? If so I cannot wait to do this!

The project:
Convert the Grado Sr125 headphones into a clip-on headphone.

Possible:
Not yet known

Thread with pictures once made:

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hello everyone I have purchased some Grado125 headphones for my next project. The cables do not run through the top headband correct? If so I cannot wait to do this!

The project:
Convert the Grado Sr125 headphones into a clip-on headphone.

Possible:
Not yet known

Thread with pictures once made:

Good luck.

No, the cable doesn't run through the headphone. But Grados get a lot of their distinctive sound from their housing (which is why there are so many DIY variations of them). So if you're replacing the housing with a smaller, lighter one, you may not quite end up with the same headphone in the end.

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Good luck.

No, the cable doesn't run through the headphone. But Grados get a lot of their distinctive sound from their housing (which is why there are so many DIY variations of them). So if you're replacing the housing with a smaller, lighter one, you may not quite end up with the same headphone in the end.

Will it still have the Grado sound, I might keep it in the housing, I'm not totally sure yet, I need to see how big they are.

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Good luck.

He wasn't referring to replacing the actual housing with a new one, but replace the headband for clip-on ear mounting and thus removing the earpads as well.
Abovetheair - I wouldn't recommend this project because the earbuds enhances a lot of the quality that not only defines a wide soundstage, but also the actual Grado signature. From personal recollection by modding the least possible distance between the diaphragm and ear is associated with hearing fatigue.
Still, there's the possibility that the qualities mentioned kicks ass, and opening new means for future modification. So - go for it, man!

... And hey, it's your wallet.

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 8
hmmm....IMO, you could have used the SR60i instead, then again, it isn't very cheap either

good luck!

James

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
He wasn't referring to replacing the actual housing with a new one, but replace the headband for clip-on ear mounting and thus removing the earpads as well.
Abovetheair - I wouldn't recommend this project because the earbuds enhances a lot of the quality that not only defines a wide soundstage, but also the actual Grado signature. From personal recollection by modding the least possible distance between the diaphragm and ear is associated with hearing fatigue.
Still, there's the possibility that the qualities mentioned kicks ass, and opening new means for future modification. So - go for it, man!

... And hey, it's your wallet.

Or is it....? I feel like Grados are about the only headphone that I have seen that are open to mods so I will go for it lol

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Which is why I said if he replaces the housing. I'd think the SR125 housing would be too big and heavy for a comfortable clip-on. If it's not, then he should go with that.

Quote:
hmmm....IMO, you could have used the SR60i instead, then again, it isn't very cheap either

good luck!

James

That's probably better from a financial stand-point if this is an experiment that may go wrong. Then you'll still have the SR125 to fall back on if any mods you do change sound quality for the worse.

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Which is why I said if he replaces the housing. I'd think the SR125 housing would be too big and heavy for a comfortable clip-on. If it's not, then he should go with that.

That's probably better from a financial stand-point if this is an experiment that may go wrong. Then you'll still have the SR125 to fall back on if any mods you do change sound quality for the worse.

I already have some MS1's to fall back on.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back