Converting my old cassettes to MP3 - fulfilling an urge
May 18, 2007 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MetalManCPA

500+ Head-Fier
Last night I sparked an urge by "handling" my old cassettes. There was this one song I have never been able to find online or on a CD: Buckwheat Boogie by Forgotten Child (1985 I think). I knew I had it on cassette, so I hunted it down by scouring through the several boxes of home-made cassettes with record dates dating from the early 80's through the mid 90's.

Now with cassete (song) in hand, I had the urge to get it onto my iPod. The only cassette player in my house is on the rack of my main audio system in the living room, a Yamaha KX-400U. My Dell laptop doesn't have a line-in, so I pondered how to extract that song off of that cassette.

I dug out my second iPod which is currently unused and empty (5G 30gig) along with my Belkin TuneTalk, hooked it up to my laptop down in the living room by the cassette player and synced with iTunes and changing the iPod to disk mode, went to the basement for an RCA-male L/R to 1/8" mini-plug cable and an RCA-female L/R to 1/4" headphone jack so I could run the sound from the deck's headphone jack to the iPod (Belkin) while monitoring through the main stereo. I played my song from the cassette and recorded it to a wave file on the iPod. Then I went upstairs, downloaded the simple freeware program "ABC Amber Audio Converter" which converts wave to MP3 (or MP3 to wave), transferred the file from the laptop to my main computer upstairs by wireless network access, converted the wave file to a 192kps MP3, added the file to iTunes and then synched my iPod with iTunes and VOILA!!! I can now listen to a song on my iPod that I loved 20-years ago but forgot about thanks to technology. I have a great summer project now - picking unique songs off of the cassettes and converting them to MP3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back