Converting music?
Mar 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hrbballman

Head-Fier
Hey all I've recently started ripping all of my CD's to FLAC so I have a back-up.  I've converted a few of these to Windows Media Lossless.  The program I'm using lets me decide between various Khz and 2 channel 16 bit and 24 bit.  Most of the CDs I have are just 2 channel 16 bit 44khz recordings , but if I convert them to the 24 bit 96khz will there be degradation of sound? I've already converted quite a few to the the 24 bit 96khz thinking that its the best way to go (this was before actually turning my brain on) but if the recording isn't originally a 24 bit 96khz recording does having it in that format affect it?  Should I go back and delete all of the ones I've converted and just put them in the 16 bit 44khz format?  Thanks for the help

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
Hey all I've recently started ripping all of my CD's to FLAC so I have a back-up.  I've converted a few of these to Windows Media Lossless.  The program I'm using lets me decide between various Khz and 2 channel 16 bit and 24 bit.  Most of the CDs I have are just 2 channel 16 bit 44khz recordings , but if I convert them to the 24 bit 96khz will there be degradation of sound? I've already converted quite a few to the the 24 bit 96khz thinking that its the best way to go (this was before actually turning my brain on) but if the recording isn't originally a 24 bit 96khz recording does having it in that format affect it?  Should I go back and delete all of the ones I've converted and just put them in the 16 bit 44khz format?  Thanks for the help

"The program I'm using" would be what?

"if I convert them to the 24 bit 96khz will there be degradation of sound?" Yes, there is always a small bit of degradation when doing sample rate conversion.

Some believe that "upsampling" provides an increase in one quality or another, and I have found that when using older DACs that resampling 44kHz audio to 88kHz does seem better, whereas resampling 44kHz audio to 96kHz seems to lose something in the dynamics. With newer DACs I find that the best sound comes without upsampling or resampling, regardless of the method.

I also use FLAC because it supports tags. WAV and CUE files perhaps sound better on some equipment but are less convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back