Converting MP-3 to CD files
Feb 28, 2008 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wfranklin

100+ Head-Fier
This may be a stoopid newbie question, and this may not be the best forum (although I didn't really see any others that were any better), but...

I want to be able to download binaural files from the internet, but convert them to a hard medium (e.g., CD) that I can use offline from my PC.

For downloaded MP-3's, what's the best way to convert those to a CD format that can be read by most modern CD players (including burning the CD--best software to use, etc.)? I'm sure many of you know this off the top of your head, but I'm just an old fart who isn't as up to speed on these new fangled gizmos! I don't have an MP-3 player (other than on my PC), and would prefer to be able to listen to these files stand-alone through my Shanling PCD3000A-->WA6-->K701 combo than have to rely on having a PC powered up.

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 9
Convert them into .wav files (i use CDex) and burn them directly to a CD-R with your burning program of choice (i use Nero, only since it came with my burner). Be aware that the wav files will still be in the same quality that the mp3 was, just taking up more space.

Feb 28, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 9
You do realize it won't be the same as buying the CD. MP3 is lossy so some data is eliminated. You may not be able to hear the difference, but you definitely don't want to rerip them into a different format.

Feb 28, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 9
Foobar2000 (the media player software) can write to CDs directly (it does the conversion in the background).

Feb 28, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 9
Yes, I do realize that. I just wanted to download, for example, the Minneapolis Symphony binaural recordings (available only in MP3) and play them back in my CD player, rather than off my computer.

Feb 28, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realize it won't be the same as buying the CD. MP3 is lossy so some data is eliminated. You may not be able to hear the difference, but you definitely don't want to rerip them into a different format.

yeah, once you get your mp3's into the cd, dont try to record it back into mp3 again, the mp3---> wav process doesnt lose any data, but the wav--->mp3 is lossy compression... when i give burned cd's to friends i always tell them not to record them into their computers, but ask me for the mp3's instead if they like whats on the cd

by the way, cant windows media player burn mp3's straight into cd's ? its one of the reasons im not that exposed to 3rd party media players... insert blank cd ---> click on 'burn audio cd' ---> drag all the mp3's you want to burn ---> click burn ---> done!

Feb 29, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 9
I'm running Vista, and a lot of my media software got mucked up when I upgraded to Vista for Business. It actually DELETED most of the media drivers in Vista Home Premium, forcing me to buy a $15 driver just to watch DVDs. My headphone jack on my pc never has worked since doing the "upgrade". I'll see if the Windows media player will do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back