"Converting" LOD from Portable to RCA good idea?
Jul 2, 2007 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

V-Duh

100+ Head-Fier
An iPod may serve as both a decent portable and home source. Portable assumes LOD to small portable amp with mini input. Home assumes LOD to home amp with RCA inputs.

Assuming the use of a good portable LOD (such as ALO, Qables, etc.), would adding a female mini to RCA cable (same manuf.) for home use degrade the SQ?

This seems like it might be a way to get decent interconnect for two situations for less $$. This savings seems to be even more significant by adding the iMod cable factor into the equation.
Any thoughts?

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 9
OK. Shorter version:

2 cables: Portable LOD to Mini plug => mini jack to RCA out

Significantly worse than single LOD to RCA?

Sorry if this seems obvious.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 9
The signal would degrade some I'm sure, whether the degradation would be something that is very noticeable, it's doubtful. You might be able to notice, but it shouldn't be too bad. That's coming from my experience with converters though, someone who has actually used something like you're looking for might be able to help more.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Significantly worse than single LOD to RCA?

No it will not be significantly worse. It takes a broken cable to make the sound significantly worse.

I doubt the difference in cable would be audible. I use a Sik din and an AR mini to RCA cable and it sounds great. Have you listened to an ALO dock vs. the others?

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 9
I recently had the same questions. I had an ALO Cotton Dock, sik din, & a Turbodock v8 and compared them. The Cotton Dock is fantastic, better than the other docks with a Cardas HPI cable. Turbo's dock is more versatile. I can use it in my car and to my stereo with a rca to mini cable. Recently, I bought a short mini cable from Cantsleep & I think the sound is now comparable to the Cotton Dock. I am very happy with the sound. Since I sold the Cotton Dock I can't do an ab, but I am satisfied. Also, I tried using a mini to mini connector from the Cotton Dock to a rca to mini cable. The sound was very good, but I am happier with what I have now.

Jul 8, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the responses.
I decided to go ahead and get a mini jack to RCA cable from Ted at The Cable Pro. The cable is very well built and nice looking at that - Ted makes up a nice product. I can't say anything about the SQ because I'm using a completely new setup - and I'm a newb too.
This cable will follow a ALO mini cryo dock until I can save up the funds to get an ALO iMod LOD. Then, of course, I'll have to save my pennies to get the actual iMod.
Just takes time. Oh, and $$$$$$$!
600smile.gif

Merry-head-fone-in!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back