Converting Cosmic D battery case to power discman
Jun 11, 2002 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all;

I noticed the most recent post is DIY electostatic headphones, so this question will probably be easy for you engineering types.

I have a couple of the 4D cell battery magazine for my Cosmic amp. I'd bought them to swap when the old magazine ran out.(Sotra like we did with M-16s) I've found it easier to reload the magazine in the traveller bag than dig out all the wiring to connect a fresh case.

So, my question. How difficult is it to convert one of these 4D cell magazines to power my D-EJ915? i have a AA magazine that came with the walkman with the proper tip.I know Headroom sells them, but shipping is $25USD, so it's not worth it. And would the bigger bqatteries improve sound any? Or would all that power melt my walkman?

Appreidcate your comments.Keep in mind I'm electronically challanged!

Matthew

And not much of a typist it appears.

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 7
heh, a clip for a pcdp....I get funny images in my head thinking about that.

Is the AA adaptor 2AAs or 4? if it is 4, then the D pack would work just fine, and would probably give you increadible runtime.

If it is a 2AA pack, then the D cell pack would give you too much voltage, and may or may not destroy the pcdp.

It should just be a matter of attaching the plug from the AA pack to the D pack.

Jun 11, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 7
thanks for the info. To clarify, the AA battery case that comes with the walkman holds 2 AA batteries.Figure 4 D cells would be like cocaine to a walkman!

M

Jun 14, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 7
Your concern is voltage. The 4D cell pack produces 6 volts, from 4 1.5 volt cells in series. Your PDCP wants 3 volts, from 2 1.5 volt cells in series. Too much current isn't a problem, it'll only use what it needs. Voltage is the issue. Your 4D pack would provide too much voltage for the PCDP. I don't know how the pack is designed, but it could be possible to rewire it so that you have two parallel D cell groups in series. Though you say you are not very electronically inclined.. let me try to explain.

Say i took two batteries and connected their positives together, and then connected their negatives together, and then measured the voltage between the connected positives, and the connected negatives, i would still see 1.5 volts. That is called parallel connection. In parallel, their current capacity is added, but voltage stays the same.

If i put two of them in series, by connecting one positive to the next one's negative, and 'stacking' them up, and measure from the top positive, and the bottom negative, then i will see 3 volts when i measure. The current capacity will stay the same, but the voltage will double.

You could combine these two technique by rewiring the inside of the battery pack so that you have two sets of parallel D cells, and then put those two sets in series. Then you would have 3 volts, but LOTS of current capacity. Then you would just have to cut off the old battery plug, and connect it to the new pack, remembering to maintain polarity (keep positive positive, and negative negative). Such a battery pack would work just fine with your player, and it would last a LONG time, i mean incredibly long.

i would like to note that i'm a tad drunk. the information is good, but my presentation might not be the best. Remember this: Two sets of parallel D cell batteries, placed in series, with a new plug. That will work for you. Others can help you with the details.

Peace,
phidauex

Jun 14, 2002 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 7
Appreciate the explaination phidauex. made sense even to an electronically challanged person llike myself. I have a few extra cases, so will experiment with one. (I just will make sure I let someone else turn it on the first time!)

Much appreciated.

Matthew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back