Converting an Amp to Balanced XLR
Oct 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

smoothlondoner

Head-Fier
Hi all,
I have a beyerdynamic A! Headphone Amp copy & like the original it only has a fixed RCA input and the standard quarter inch jack out for the Headphones.
So my question is as I am a Novice is how could I convert my Amp to fully balanced XLR for both input and output.
Or would it just be to difficult because of the basic design.
I have included some pics of the Amp too, internal and external.
Cheers

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 6
The amp needs to be designed as a balanced amp to have proper balanced in/out.  You can make RCA to XLR adapters but you're not going to be getting any sonic benefit out of doing so.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Yes im beggining to realise this after a bit more reading so I think all in all it will not fly.
I guess the next thing is to see if I could build a better amp than i have but i'm not that experienced so ho hum lol.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 6
If it makes you feel any better the Schiit Mjolnir is a balanced amp that costs only $750.  That's a lot cheaper than a lot of other balanced amps and I think you'd be hard pressed to make something proper for much less.  I believe there's a few balanced DACs/Sources you can get for under a grand as well.  A neat thing about going 4-pin balanced XLR is that you can adapt to 1/4" for use with single ended amps; as long as the headphone doesn't need to be portable it's pretty handy.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 6
And if you want a balanced amp even Cheaper than Mjolnir you can look at A-GD NFB-6 too or try to see if you have the knowledge to do some DIY stuff .

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 6
I have looked at the The Schiit Mjolnir already and have been waiting for some more reviews and such.
Trouble is My amp sounds so good and it only set me bsck
£112 lol.
Currently upgrading my dac so I won't be able to afford to change until after Christmas at least....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back