Converting all owned CDs to digital.... What's the best way?
Jul 4, 2017 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kayan

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting ready to convert my collection of CDs to an easier to transport solution. My plan is to RIP them to my PC and then upload them to OneDrive. I can then stream them via Bluetooth in my car, while driving, and listen through my gear at my desk, and eventually my next DAP .

I'm not concerned with how much space they take up, as I'm just wanting the best audio quality possible.

Basically, I just need to know how to go about this. What programs to use and any converters I need. Thanks in advance.

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 5
EAC seems to be the weapon of choice when ripping quality is the priority, but it may be not the easiest program to set up and get going. There are some online tutorials to help with that. Once it's configured the job is a breeze. EAC rips to WAV and then can convert to other formats like FLAC or MP3. It supports metatags import from several online libraries and can also embed artwork in the audio files.
I didn't have much luck with DVD drives - they work but sometimes can be painfully slow. I'd recommend using a CD drive and the process should be much faster (expect about 3-5min per CD).
Find out what formats does your car player support, as not all the players are geared towards the best quality. Mine sometimes chokes even on 320k MP3 files. I ended up having my main library in FLAC and separate versions in 256k MP3 for the car.

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 5
I started out using EAC, but now use dBpoweramp and PerfectTunes. It costs $58, but is worth it IMO when you have a large library to manage. dBpoweramp is a CD ripper/file converter and PerfectTunes is a metadata editor.

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 5
I also use dbpoweramp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back