converting aac to mp3 or ?
Dec 17, 2003 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

decesaro

100+ Head-Fier
Im considering buying a ihp 120 to replace my brand new piece of **** that cant hold a charge long enought to get me thru my day at work ipod . My problem is I started to rip some of my cds (150 so far) and dont want to do it again , is there a simple way to convert them to say a mp3 to make the switch faster and easier

Dec 17, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 6
i dont think there is a ACC>MP3 direct converter.. mostly because they are both lossy formats and converting from a lossy to another will lose some sound quality

Dec 17, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
i dont think there is a ACC>MP3 direct converter.. mostly because they are both lossy formats and converting from a lossy to another will lose some sound quality

You say its a lossy format ,what format do you use ?

Dec 17, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 6
MP3, AAC, Ogg, etc. are all lossy. Going from one of these to another usually results in a loss in quality and isn't recommended. Generally it's best to go to the original source, but sometimes lossy to lossy loss isn't noticable. I'm sure there are several converters. iTunes allows you to do this. Switch encoder to MP3, go advanced, then convert. If you want to use the LAME MP3 encoder, try dbpoweramp. Not sure it does it, but it seems to convert nearly anything to anything. Again it just depends if you want to do this.

Dec 17, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by decesaro
You say its a lossy format ,what format do you use ?

lol...the word "lossy" is the way those audio formats were compressed...not im calling those formats names as in "bad"

lossy compression: takes out parts of audio that our human ears can not hear to save space, whatever lossy compressed audio loose in the process will not come back.... those data are lost forever

lossless compression: compress files to smaller size while keeping every piece of data, when u uncompress a lossless format u will get everything back, no data were lost

for more infomation on compressions, read this article
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/mp3.htm

Dec 17, 2003 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
lol...the word "lossy" is the way those audio formats were compressed...not im calling those formats names as in "bad"

lossy compression: takes out parts of audio that our human ears can not hear to save space, whatever lossy compressed audio loose in the process will not come back.... those data are lost forever

lossless compression: compress files to smaller size while keeping every piece of data, when u uncompress a lossless format u will get everything back, no data were lost

for more infomation on compressions, read this article
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/mp3.htm

Thanks for clearing that up ,I was a little lost .
Ive done very little with my computer besides surfing ,Im more into vinyl and cds, and not up to date on compressed formatts .
Thanks
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back