converted from IEM's, now need to purchase a set of headphones
Feb 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dimmockg

500+ Head-Fier
as per title really,

I have a set of ultimate ears e5 (think its these one's) iem's and thought they were great (until today)

browsing shops in town and thought i'd have a listen to some headphones

had a listed to some bower & wilkins ones - circa £250 - lovely, lovely sound but WAY to expensive

Denon HD1100 - what i would describe as a "nice" overall sound and better budget wise

Sennheiser 25's - nice enough sound but didn't impress me as much as the previous phones

Sennheiser PX360 - completely gob-smacked, i had to re-check these about 4 times, thought these were much better then the other senn's, better than the denon's and easily on par with the bower's

I had a listen to my varied tastes (dance through to ambient and a bit of rock/pop) and really very impressed with the 360's, I even asked a member of staff to "prove" to me they weren't on the end of any amplification - to which they obliged!!!

My budget is around £100 absolute tops, but if anything is lower then winner!!

Main use will be when on the go, walking, train, bus and also will be used with my iphone as well as on my stereo (naim uniti) at home - however not much on the naim

Is there anything else I should try and listen to at my price point?

thanks

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 7
Some great suggestions there and they all review well, but alas they're all around £20 or a little more above my budget.

My budget is really a firm £100 (in the uk), £80 would be a better budget if possible but I'm prepared to spend £100 on the right gear

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 7
If you liked the PX360, why not go ahead and pick them up? 

It looks like you ran through most of the big-named portables. The other one you may consider would be the Beyerdynamic DT1350, but that's out of your budget. 

If you liked the Bowers & Wilkens P5, I'd highly suggest you checking out the V-Moda M-80/V-80. They go for about $200, so it may stretch your budget a bit but cheaper than the B&W. In my opinion, they have a very similar goal as the B&W headphone -- a smooth, warm, rich, versatile sound that does fairly well with all genres. They're more of a jack-of-all-trades type of headphone that doesn't particularly excel in any area but also doesn't commit any major flaws (which says a lot). I personally like them more than the B&W P5 -- a headphone that I already seem to like moreso than other members here (although I do think they are pricey). 

A very good reference point for portable headphones is |joker|'s shootout thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-98-portable-headphones-reviewed-sony-mdr-pq2-and-philips-oneill-sho9560-added-01-02-12

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 7
Update on this.....

Went for the sennheiser px360 as were a great price plus get the option of a return within 7 days subject to a small charge - which I'm happy with

Ok, here's the deal....

I like the build quality and general look/appeal - thumbs up there

I dislike the really thin wire - seems really really thin to me

Sound is what I would describe as 'satisfying' I've had them for nearly 3 days and put around 30 hours through them. Bass is very good, perhaps lacks a little refinement. Mids much the same and treble not bright or harsh.

Now here comes a but.....

I feel I'm missing out on something, whilst I would describe them as satisfying I want headphones which I would describe as great/excellent/superb so I would say these are a bit better than average (to me anyway). I also seem to have an ever so slightly more prominent sound from the right than the left - something I've read up on headfi with other sennheiser. I'm strongly considering using the 7 day return option, adding £50 to the mix to go up a tier. I would prefer closed (as per these) & am looking at:

Beyerdynamic dt 770 80ohm
Ultrasone hfi580
Shure 750dj

All of these mentioned above and I've read hundreds of reviews to the point I'm over-loaded with info. For my electronic dance/house music which would need the controlled bass and sound which out of the above 3 would be best?

Thanks

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 7
right, the sennheiser have gone :frowning2:, but on the bright side i now have around £140 for a pair of headphones.

I'm limited to whats available in the uk, i am after comfort, preferably a detachable cable (but not essential), no more than 80ohm cans, good isolation so over the ear would be preferable to on the ear. I've done some really extensive reading the last few days, with my short list:

1) Ultrasone hfi 580 - seem to get good all round reviews with a seemingly decent mix with electronic/dance music - so probably front runner at the momeny
2) Shure SRH840 - as per the above, perhaps not quite as "suitable" but still seem a potentially good choice - some reviews state they're a little weighty
3) Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm - another good choice, but possibly over-shadowed by the ultrasone for electronic
4) Sennheiser HD380 pro - not a huge amount of info around and possibly more of a side step from the px360 as opposed to an upgrade/forward step

As mentioned above I have £140 - which is an absolute max, £120 would be preferable - with the ultrasones fitting in perfectly

Want to pull the trigger this weekend as the walk to work is boring without tunes!!

Any suggestions or more pointers or am i on the money with the ultrasones - except finding stock is a problem :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back